part fifty-six

— jessie's pov
savannah drops me off in front of the school building. I've finally gotten over myself... Derek told me about Emily. It feels just like when she went into hiding. But at least I don't think she's dead?

Savannah decided to enroll me into a higher security school with uniforms and dress codes. I hated it. but it's was to " ensure my safety."

I flip open my schedule;

period one - honors calculus
period two - ap english
period three - criminal justice
period four - ap environmental science
period five - contemporary dance

at least, this school only had five classes, but that meant it would be longer. I make my way into the building; everybody looked the same, privileged. The hallways were crowded, everybody trying to get into a classroom.

As quickly as they were together, they all dispersed when the bell rang. It was like I was the only person in the hallway.

" Hello, may I help you?"

" yes, umm, I'm new here. I'm looking for Ms. Daniels?" the lady nods and points me to the classroom down the hallway.

Great, late for my first class. I quickly walk towards the classroom and walk inside. The bell had only rung like five minutes ago, and the teacher is already teaching. I look around for an empty desk; of course, there's only one in the front. I take my seat and make sure not to make any more screwups.

she looks at me as she's taking a roll. " Jessie Prentiss?"

" here?"

" Why don't you introduce yourself?" I hate this; I honestly think public speaking should be a crime of some sort. I turn to the class. " no, no, since you were late, you can come to the front."

I hate her already; I walk to the front of the class and quickly scan the room. It was a trick Emily taught me to get a vibe from people without staring them down.

The class was mostly made out of girls, but there were about seven guys. Probably a class of 23. the cool/popular people sat in the back, and pairs of friends sat towards the edges. I guess the quiet/clever social rejects sit in the front.

" my name is Jessie; I'm new here." I didn't know what else to say. I look at her for my cue to sit down.

" Tell us about yourself?"

I don't know a lot about myself, It takes a while; what have people told me about myself. " umm, I like to read mostly poetry, and I like to help my family." I quickly take my seat. So I could bear myself from the stares.

She nods and continues the lesson. I guess I'm going to have to catch up.

— savannah's pov
" thank you so much for doing this!" Kate says while I disinfect the belly piercing.

" no, problem." I tap her stomach to indicate that I'm all done. I remove my gloves and put them in the bin.

" why would you do this, Meg?" I try to mind my business but keeping an ear in the conversation.

"I don't know!"

just then, kate's phone rings. " we'll talk about this later." she walks out of the room to answer the call.

" so, why did you do this?" she looked hesitant. " I won't tell your mom." she reminded me a lot about Jessie in a disobedient way. " you're mad at your Kate? Acting out? a boyfriend?"

I could see her body movement change a little, something Derek taught me. " ahh, a boy." she lets out a guilt-ridden smile. " don't let anybody change who you are!" I say, handing her a lifesaver.

" you good at this. I wish Kate were good at talking to me."

"I have some experience," I say, smiling.

" you have a daughter?!"

" sorta, her name Jessie. she's 15." I pull out my phone to show a picture to her.

" Wow, she's gorgeous! can I meet her one day?"

" yea, definitely. she's at school right now, which is where you also suppose to be." Kate comes in with the ' we have a case face.' she mouths the words thank you and ushers Megan outside. I smiled and decided to text Jessie.

— jessie's pov

how's school? I see on my phone from savannah.

It's ok, but now I have dance class. Wish me luck.

I haven't really 'danced' in almost two years. I definitely had a 'dancers body.' if two years' worth of anorexia counted as something.

They were about four girls from my first-period math class; I remember their names; Lindsay, Jordan, Chloe, and Vanessa. It didn't matter anyway. It wasn't like I was going to talk to them.

I changed into some sweatpants and a tank top. It seemed like only Vanessa was the one with the same idea, everybody else dressed professionally.

" grab partners and begin your stretches." that's great, more interaction. I stand there like a lost puppy.

" wanna be my partner?" Vanessa comes towards me. Ok, maybe this is going to be a little easier.

" sure, what exactly is partner stretching?"

" We technically break each other's bones until the timer runs out," she says, laughing. I let out a laugh, too. " thank God you here; I usually have to partner with the teacher." I smile, and we begin stretching.

we change, and the bell dismisses us. " today was really fun." Vanessa says, coming from behind me.

" well, I guess." I check my phone to see who's picking me up today. No one has texted.

" um, here's my number- if you wanna hang out. I can tell you about the school and the neighborhood and stuff." I look at her; she was pretty. I could see the desperation in her eyes.

" sure, umm- I have to go, but thanks!" I depart from her direction and walk outside and call Derek.

" Hello, Derek? schools over!"

" I'm on my way! so you can tell me all about it!" I wait a couple of minutes and see a familiar black suv pull up to the school parking lot. I walk towards the car and enter inside.

" hi!" he says, popping the door open to reveal Kate and Derek. I take a seat in the back and make sure everything's fine.

just then, a notification rings on my phone from Instagram. @mollyzhuang wants to send you a message. That name was so familiar.

" I said, hi!" I forgot about Derek.

" oh, hi Derek and Kate, sorry, you guys are working a case?"

" yea, serial killer about 12.5 miles from here," Kate says. I nod my head and look back at my phone.

I open Instagram and open the message.

Hi, Jessie! I don't know if you remember me. It's been twelve years. But it's molly- from the foster home. The carigers

my heart drops for a second, how did she find me. Is this even real?

Umm, how did you find me?

I was trying to reconnect, ya know, with my past. I felt like you were my first milestone. My first sister.
Remember when we used to stay up all night binge-watching young Sheldon,

it was really her, only she knew that type of stuff. I go to her Instagram page. Wow, she was so pretty! so mature; her bio said she was twenty and going to UCLA. Wow, a success story.