part three

— day two, the case is unsolved —
flashback—

the bed felt extra hard today; I go to check the mailbox. Three letters; taxes, a letter from mom, and finally the bau.

I open it, finally a chance to get out of here.
I skip the bottom.

20/32, due to this score. Unfortunately, you did not pass the analysis test, which means that the bau will not be considering your request.

I drop the paper and lay on the bed; I guess I'll be staying in Denver for a while. Time to get a promotion. I open the file, "day two," and I'm nowhere close to proving if this kid was murdered or just in the wrong place at the wrong time. But then, my cellphone rings." is the officer Prentiss?" a familiar voice sounds over the phone.

"yes, this is she."

" This is Jamie Alexander from the M.E's office. Theirs something you need to see."

" ok, I'll be right there." I grab my coat and head to the office. Rolling the windows down, trying to feel the breeze on my face. Another rejection, another day. Finally, I arrive.

" the kid didn't die of hours of cold exposure," she says, handing me the file.

"I don't understand. he died of hypothermia, right?"

" he died of hypothermic shock, which means likely he died in about 15 minutes due to extreme freezing conditions. Like I'm talking about below 5 degrees or less, maybe even below zero," she says, washing her hands.

I still didn't understand; what did that mean? " what does that mean?" I say, flipping through the medical analysis.

 "he was most likely kept in a freezer or maybe a tub of ice, but he didn't die outside. I'm ruling his death as a murder," she says, walking into another room. There's no sign of physical or sexual abuse. What happened to this kid. I drive back to the parent's house.

I knock on the door, " excuse me; this is officer Prentiss." I hear shuffling in the back. Silently, I go to the end, the woman opened the door to what looked like a shed, and the man ran into the woods.

" Stop, put your hands up." lucy knelt to the floor in a prayer position. I speak into my intercom, " I'm requesting back up; at 923 western groves, we have a 10-16 and a suspect on the run. I repeat 923 western groves and a suspect on the run." I cuff her to the stairway and make my way upstairs to the children.

" MOLLY, LIAM, JESSIE, this is officer Prentiss. it's okay, your safe." I canvas the whole upstairs they're not there.

The shed.

By this time, I can hear the sirens coming. I run to the shed. I can already feel the coldness emitting from the door. I open it, " FREEZE, EVERYONE PUT YOUR HANDS UP."

But instead, I see the children inside what seemed like a sort of meat freezer. Their lips were blue, and Liam was unconscious. I grab the girls and Liam and rush them outside. " it's ok, it's ok; it's Emily remember." I speak into my intercom again, " I need a bus; a 7-year-old has gone into hypothermic shock." by this time, the others are here.

" where is the suspect?"

" he ran into the woods." Three officers run into the woods. " I need heat blankets now!!" I hear the ambulance, and I'm passed four blankets; I give the blankets to the girls, and I rush to Liam. " hey, hey, stay with me." I begin to shake the blankets over him. Finally, seeing him regain color.

His eyes started flickering; ok, he's waking up! Before I realize it, the medics come and pick him up.

Molly and Jessie are already in the police vehicle; I uncuff Ms.Lucy from the stairs and put her in the police car furthest away from the children." Prentiss! what did you do?" Derry comes from behind.

" saving these kids! I didn't know this was going to happen." So I say, walking to get a heated blanket for myself.

" Why didn't you tell me?" he says with a look of relief on his face.

" No offense, detective, but I've been the only one on this case. I've gotten this far by myself." I say, walking to the car where the kids are.

" This is your first strike, Prentiss, and I don't like attitude." I scoff at him and enter the car. Molly was asleep; it was too early anyway. But, Jessie...she was bright and awake. Lips blue and just staring straight forward.

" He couldn't handle the cold just like Mason," she says, leaning into me.

" Is that the secret?" she nods and smiles. " Who put you in the freezer?"

" Mother and Father, to get stronger," she says, wrapping her arms around my waist. I give in.

" Stronger for what?" she shrugs her shoulders. Was this some child soldier thing? " ok, I'll be right back, and we'll take you somewhere comfortable." These children, they're just too young, too broken and bruised. I walk back to the detective. " anything new?"

" Yes, they spotted Mr. Craiger 3 miles away from here next to a local pond, naked. they say it seemed like he was about to jump in."

" Is this some cult? The water is freezing, and the kids were in a freezer, plus the house is super cold."

"I don't know; they're bringing him to the station now. Wanna tag the team? Good cop, bad cop? he says, slapping my shoulder.

" sure, but I think ill drive the kids. after everything they've been through, maybe it's best to be with someone they know." he nods, and I enter the car.

"it's ok, your safe. We're going to the police station." molly has seemed to wake up. I lock the door; thank God for the child lock.

" he's gonna catch us; please take me back." she shakes the door handle. " let me go," by this time, I'm on the road.

"it's ok, molly. We arrested him! he's not going to hurt you anymore." I say, looking through the mirror.

" he's making us stronger!!!" she says, pounding on her thighs.

What does this mean '? He's making us stronger.' stronger for what? she needs to know she's safe. I pull over and stop the car.

" look, I'm here to help you! You have to let me," I say, almost in a yelling tone.

" how, can I help you?" she says, finally cooling down.

" tell me everything you know," I say, finally putting the car back into motion.