Chapter XXXIII ~ Thonia

Start from the beginning

After my first dance, I had other dances with random boys who asked me, mostly they were my classmates who had no choice but to ask me a dance than to sit, stare at other people and be boring. My feet sore so I sat alone in my table. I sighed and drank from my glass filled with juice and pretended it was wine. Once I set my glass down, a boy was standing beside my table. I look up and see Sam, a tall guy with waxed hair, thick brows, muscled arms and tender cheeks. "Hey, don't you wanna dance?"

I looked at the scene in front of me. People could almost exchange faces by how close they were. I looked at him and shook my head. He laughed a bit. "What? It's a dance party, Thonia. You came here to dance. Let's go!" I rolled my eyes and followed him.

I was about to bring up the usual conversation I had with guys I danced with— So, who was your first dance? Who do you plan last? How are you? It's been a long time. What are your plans after highschool? —but Sam had it differently and started a throwback conversation. "So, the first day I walked into school, I thought you were mad at me." Sam said, almost laughing.

"What? Why would I be mad at you? Do I really look like that bitch?" I said jokingly to hide my surprise.

He shook his head. "I don't know, I just got that feeling. But yeah, I got to know you."

I laughed a bit. "No, I'm not mad. Maybe I was just having a bad day."

"Well, at least I got to dance you. Thanks for the dance, m'lady." He nodded and left, just like any other boys I got to dance to. It was funny to think how all these people, including me, could be fooled by those minutes that felt infinite, but after few turns, sways, beats, it would come to an end. Always come to an end.

I was about to go back my when I caught a glance of Rick smiling at me with a hand in mid-air. I showed a quick courtesy and walked over to take his hand. He put his hand above my waist and I put mine on his shoulder. To my surprise, our other hands were already entwined in mid-air.

"Hi," he said, smiling.

"Hello," I replied, also smiling. For real, I swear.

"How are you?"

"I'm great." I replied and chuckled. "Seriously? I had that question more than twenty times tonight."

He smiled apologetically and looked pass me. "You look perfect tonight."

"Thanks," I said. "So do you."

We danced in silence. I kept more distance than usual because I knew my limits. "So, you let Liza dance with other guys?"

"Yeah, we trust each other and our loyalty." He said then looked at me instantly and seemed to wish he hadn't said it.

I just smiled. "You're doing well in the love subject."

"Thank you for teaching me once, you know you'll always be a part of me."

I patted his shoulders. "Just be the Rick I knew and you'll be a wonderful boyfriend to your girlfriend."

He looked at me with curious face like their relationship status that I declared was not true. I rolled my eyes. "Don't deny it. I've heard about that."

"How about you? Joshua?" I looked at him with an inquiring look and he imitated what I said, "Don't deny. I've heard all about that."

"No! Seriously? Where did you get that? What you've heard are merely rumors." I wished I was not blushing too much, thanks for the dimmed lighting.

"I'm an expectator for your new one."

"Wait 'til we rot then. Where did you get that by the way?" We laughed and I saw Liza dancing with her ex snd he looked at where I was looking. "Did she ask permission?" I got curious because he did not seem surprised.