CHAPTER TWO: A SECRET & SCALES

SNOH

         "Why do you insist on making your presence a spectacle every time you come here?" I huffed as I lifted my body from the pushing waters and hoisted myself back onto the rock. I slicked my hair back against my head and neck and adjusted my legs so I was sitting comfortably on the stone once more.

          Koia swam over to me, radio in hand as she handed the device back to me.

          I took it from her narrowing my gaze as I inspected it for any damage, but thankfully it was perfectly fine. I reached over my bookbag and pulled out the treats I had saved for her and handed it over to her which she took gratefully.

          "Where's the fun if you're not exciting others, huh?" She stated as she adjusted her torso and tail on a nearby rock before ripping the bag open to find her fruit and desserts curtest of the Corner Leaf, devouring it without shame in front of me.

          I chuckled lightly at how eager Koia always was to taste regular foods, she definitely had an affinity for sweets. My eyes wandered over to her silver-colored opaline tail that shimmered against the present moonlight. Her trail subconsciously waved and wiggled, occasionally splashing the water present underneath her as she continued eating.

           "You're not saying much, are you upset that you fell into the water?" Koia paused from eating the remainder of her mooncake to furrow her faint eyebrows

           "You're not saying much, are you upset that you fell into the water?" Koia paused from eating the remainder of her mooncake to furrow her faint eyebrows. I shook my head, pulling my sweater over my head so I could squeeze out the excess water from it. I watched as the droplets returned to the streaming river bank, parting with the remaining flow of water.

           "No, though next time, I'd appreciate a heads up so I can at least undress...it'll take a while to dry my clothing unless you happen to have air elemental gifts that I am unaware of until now." I arched my eyebrow at her curiously to which Koia replied with a scoff, "As if!"

          Her tail began flapping against the water once more as she returned to her meal, "You know Sirens only hold the ability to manipulate water properties... similar to water elementals...maybe in another lifetime." She teased.

          I chuckled and set my sweater against the rock so it could begin drying as best as it could.

          Koia and I have been doing this for as long as I could remember. We first met when we were children; I was an adventurous child at nine isos, so no surprise I had managed to venture away from my mother and father long enough to find this secluded river bank where I could play along the rocks and water. As a child, I didn't think of the dangers that would come from slipping off one of these things, but it ended up happening.

           I remember being perched upon this very same rock, standing up tall as I attempted to balance on one leg in some sort of acrobatic trick to occupy myself, and soon after I found myself losing strength in one of my legs before skidding off of the stone. I didn't remember anything after that, all I was sure of was when I did regain consciousness, I was drenched in water. My back rested against the grass beside the riverbank and an odd woman was peering over me.