Chapter 31: We Are Family

Comenzar desde el principio

🏐🏐🏐

Nakano lay in her bed, wishing yet again that Kei could somehow have stayed with her for the night.  He'd walked her home about an hour ago, lingering as long he could, but there were limits to what even Akiteru could do to deflect their mother's suspicions when she knew her son had gone to walk his girlfriend home.  She'd taken a long hot shower, trying to process what had happened at the Tsukishima's house that night.  After Akiteru had left them alone again, she'd asked Kei about his dad.

"I don't really remember much about him," he'd said, looking a little sad.  "I remember...feelings, more than events.  Thinking about him always makes me feel happy, in a way.  Mom says he could make me laugh so easily.  I miss him, I think.  Or maybe I just wish I could remember what it was like when he was here." 

He looked so vulnerable in that moment, so soft, she thought.  When I told him how much he looked like his dad, his smile was so sweet.  I want to make him smile like that more often.  I want him to look like he did in that picture - smiling and laughing and full of such joy.

A thought struck her - something Kei's mom had mentioned in those nerve-wracking moments of testing her depth of feeling for her son.  She grabbed her phone off the nightstand.

Queen Setter 🏐
Tadashi!

Wingman 😉
Hey Naka-chan!  What's up?

Queen Setter 🏐
Do you know when Tsukki's birthday is?  I know it's in September, but I don't know the exact day.

Wingman 😉
September 27.  Planning something?

Queen Setter 🏐
Better believe it.  

Wingman 😉
Yeah!  Can I help?

Queen Setter 🏐
LOL actually, I was thinking of something special just for him and I 😏  but you're right Yams we should do something for him as a team!

Wingman 😉
I will conveniently ignore that smirk.  LOL you know Tsukki will hate it if we make a big deal over him.

Queen Setter 🏐
And that's exactly why we should.  He needs to get over that.  Let's start brainstorming.  It doesn't have to be anything too crazy - and if we include my strawberry shortcake he'll probably forgive us. 🍰

Wingman 😉
So...when's your birthday Naka-chan?

Queen Setter 🏐
Your lack of subtlety disturbs me.  November.  That's all I'm saying.

Wingman 😉
No way!  Mine's in November too!  Come on, please tell me the day!  Mine is November 10.  So now you have to tell me yours.

Queen Setter 🏐
Tadashi are you teasing me right now?

Wingman 😉
What do you mean?

Queen Setter 🏐
My birthday is November 10!

Wingman 😉
LOLOLOLOL WE ARE BIRTHDAY BUDDIES!!!

Nakano's phone signaled a new message on the First Year Crows group chat.  She switched over to check that out, knowing Tadashi would likely do the same.

Ten
I can't wait for tomorrow!  We are gonna have so much fun!  We're all set, right?

Eleven
Oh my god Shrimp you've asked that like a dozen times already.