A Misunderstanding and a Proposal (Posie)

Penelope has been working more than usual and Josie calls her out on it. 

Penelope quietly enters the house she shares with her girlfriend. Locking the door behind her, she slips off her shoes. She's exhausted from her job as a paralegal as she has been working overtime lately.

"It's midnight! Where the hell were you?" Josie asks, standing with her arms crossed.

Penelope looks at Josie, who she thought was asleep. Josie looks mad, her checks flushed with anger. She glares at Penelope.

"I was at work, babe. I texted you to let you know I was working overtime today," Penelope explains.

"You've been 'working overtime' for a month! Are you cheating on me? Do you not love me anymore? Is that it? You're never home anymore, Penelope!" Josie exclaims angrily. 

"What? How could you think that?  God dammit, Josie, I love you. I would never cheat on you," Penelope sighs, running her hands through raven hair.

"Why are you always working, then?" Josie questions.

"I can't tell you," Penelope replies.

"You can't tell me. So you are cheating then! Of course you are, once a player always a player," Josie yells.

"I didn't say I was cheating, Josette, and I'm not that dumb teenager anymore! Yes, I have been working my butt of this month! Want to know why? For you! It's all for you! I've been paying off your dream ring, which I bought for you. I was going to ask you to marry me, but if you don't trust me, then this clearly isn't going to work," Penelope shouts, storming to their bedroom.

Josie follows her, immediately feeling guilty. Penelope throws some of her things into a bag, and walks out the door. Josie grabs her wrist.

"Please don't leave, baby. I love you. I'm sorry. Please don't leave me," Josie pleads, tears streaming down her face.

"I need some space, Josie," Penelope sighs, "I'm not going to leave you, I'm just upset. I need some space, okay?"

"Okay," Josie nods, her bottom lip trembling.

Penelope kisses her forehead. Josie lets Penelope go. The moment the door shuts, Josie bursts into heart wrenching sobs. The witch hears her girlfriend crying, but knows if she goes back inside while she is still angry, they will just continue fighting. So, even though it kills her, she hops in her car, and drives to her best friend's house. 

******

Hope sighs as someone knocks on her door. It's the middle of the night, but she knows if she ignores it her fiance, Lizzie, who is asleep beside her, will be woken up. The tribrid slides on some grey slippers and heads downstairs. Cautiously, she opens to the door to reveal Penelope, who is sobbing, still dressed in work clothes. 

"Penelope, what on earth are you doing here? Is everything okay?" Hope asks, ushering the witch inside and locking the door behind them.

Penelope continues to cry, so the tribrid leads her to the couch. Penelope sits down, dropping her bag. Hope runs and grabs a glass of water, returning to Penelope's side.

"Drink," Hope orders, handing the glass to the witch.

Penelope drinks the water, which calms her. She sets the glass aside once finished, and dabs at her eyes with her shirt sleeve. Hope hands her a tissue, so she uses that instead.

"Want to tell me what happened now?" Hope asks calmly.

"You know how I've been working overtime for the past month to pay off Josie's dream ring?" Penelope questions.