10• Mrs. Russell

Start from the beginning

The doorbell rang and I jogged towards it. I opened it to see a lady, who looked a few years older, standing with a bright smile.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Hi. You must be Adrien's wife." She said and I skeptically nodded. Does she know him?

"I am Lily. I work here as a cook." She smiled at me and I thought that I should let her in.

"Adrien informed me about you, but I guess not you about me." She said while making her way to the kitchen and I quietly followed. She was about to say something further but was interrupted by Adrien.

"Morning, Lily." He came out of his room in formal attire with his coat and tie in hand.

"Good Morning." They smiled at each other and Adrien then looked at me.

"If the introduction isn't done yet, let me do it. Crystal, this is Lily, she has been my helper and cook for many years. And Lily, meet Crystal, my wife." He did the honors.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Russell." She smiled politely.

I still wasn't used to that name.

"Nice to meet you too, Lily. Please call me Crystal." I smiled back at her.

"Is there something you both would like to eat for breakfast?" She asked and we both denied so she got started with omelettes and toast.

Adrien asked me to follow him to his study and I did. It was a cozy room with a desk, chairs and a small couch in the middle, surrounded by high bookshelves with numerous files and books. He asked me to sit on the couch and then opened one of the drawers of his desk and took a chequebook out. I quietly observed him as he wrote something and tore two cheques before sitting across me on the couch.

"Here. Take these." He passed me two blank cheques and I looked at him, puzzled. "For your debts. It's my end of the deal." He said and then it clicked me. I nodded while looking at the cheques. I felt embarrassed for not being able to take care of my own problems. Deep down it hurt my pride but I tried to convince myself thinking that in some way, I have helped him too.

"Clear all your debts and come back in one piece. I will ask Martin to take you to Brooklyn." I didn't know who Martin was so I questioned him and he said he was his bodyguard / driver.

"I can manage on my own." I said. I didn't need someone to tag along with me.

"You can, but I won't let you. They've been trying to put their hands on you. No way in hell I'm letting you go to a wicked, hungry wolf like man all alone. And Martin can be trusted. Let him take you." Adrien said casually and I won't lie that it felt good to have someone look after you. Even if it's just for formality.

I agreed with him and decided to go to Brooklyn that very day. We made our way back to the dining room where Lily was setting the breakfast for us. Before we could get seated, Adrien took his tie that was on the chair and went to Lily.

"Lily, can you please help." She looked at him and passed a playful smile while taking the tie from him. But that smile faded away and she frowned.

"Shouldn't you ask your wife to help you now, young man?" Adrien looked taken aback at her question and glanced at me.

Wait, did he not know how to knot a tie?

I almost chuckled at the thought.

Adrien scratched his neck in embarrassment and Lily handed me the tie. "Crystal, please help your husband with the tie." I couldn't hold back the chuckle as Adrien slowly came towards me, looking at the floor.