Chapter 6

I grab the knife that's next to Wells body and I put it in my pocket. Jasper holds my hand and I intertwine it. I smile a little. We walk to the drop ship and find Clarke. We tell her the news and she goes and finds Bellamy. We go to his tent and talk it over.

I give Clarke the knife and she starts observing it. "This knife was made of metal from the drop ship." she says as I start getting tensed.

"What do you mean?" Jasper asks.

"Who else knows about this?" Bellamy asks.

"No one. We brought it straight here." I say to him.

"Clarke?" Jasper asks, suggesting she finishes what she was saying.

"It means the grounders didn't kill Wells. It was one of us." she says. I let go of Jasper's hand and put both my hands to my face. Who ever killed Wells is gonna pay.

"So there's a murderer in the camp?" Jasper asks.

"There's more than one murderer in this camp. This isn't news. We need to keep it quiet." Bellamy says.

"I don't think so." I say to him. Clarke tries to get out of the tent but Bellamy stops her.

"Get out of my way, Bellamy." Clarke says.

"Be smart about this. Look at what we achieved, the wall, the patrols. Like it or not, thinking the grounders is good for us." Bellamy says.

"Oh good for you, you mean. What, keep people afraid and they'll work for you? Is that it?" Clarke says.

"Yea, that's it. But it's good for all of us. Fear of the grounders is building that wall. And besides, what are you gonna do, just walk out there and ask the killer to step forward? You don't even know who's knife that is." He says to her.

"Oh really?" she shows him the initials to someone's name. "J.M, John Murphy. The people have a right to-" I didn't let her finish as I walked out of the tent to find Murphy. He was ordering some kid around.

"You son of a bitch!" I say to him as I pushed him.

"What's your problem?" he says to me.

"You killed Wells!" I say to him.

"What?" he asks in confusion. Oh of course. He plays the "I didn't do it" game.

"Recognize this?" Clarke says as she walks in front of Murphy and shows him the knife.

"It's my knife. Where'd you find it?" he replies to her in confusion. He tries to take it but Clarke doesn't let him.

"Where you dropped it after you killed Wells." Clarke says.

"Where I what?" he says. That catches everyone's attention as everyone grows silent. "The grounders killed Wells, not me."

"I know what you did, and you're gonna pay for it." Clarke says.

"Really? Bellamy, you really believe this crap?" Murphy asks Bellamy but Bellamy stays silent.

"You threatened to kill him. We all heard you. You hated Wells." Clarke says.

"Plenty of people hated Wells. His father was the chancellor that locked us up." Murphy says defending himself.

"Yeah, but you're the only one who got in a knife fight with him." Clarke says her voice getting louder.

"Yeah, I didn't kill him then, either." Murphy says.

"You could've. Also tried to kill Jasper too." I say.

"What?" Jasper says looking at me. I look back at him and grab his hand for comfort. He intertwines it with mines, filling in all the spaces. My heart starts beating fast. I look down smiling.