Chapter 34

This chapter is dedicated to the readers of this story, who have come to love Christopher as much as I have.

Synopsis: The Cullen Family take Christopher to the meadow to say their final goodbyes.

CHRISTOPHER'S FINAL FAREWELL

As evening approached, the Cullen Family made their way to Bella and Edward's small meadow.

Carlisle carried Christopher wrapped up in a small blanket.

This meadow was one of Christopher's favorite places, where he had ran and chased butterflies around the multi-colored flowers...and where he had flown glorious kites.

This was the place that all the Cullen's had agreed upon for Christopher's final farewell.

The weather had started out sunny...but quickly turned cloudy and windy...almost as if the Earth was mourning for Christopher's death as much as the Cullens.

Edward, Emmett, and Jasper began collecting small logs and pieces of wood to construct a small pyre.

As they did this, they carefully saturated the wood with their venom.

Once this was complete, Carlisle set the small blanket containing his son on top of the pyre. Carlisle then added some of his own venom onto the pyre.

The family formed a circle around the pyre. Edward held Bella's hand, Emmett held Rosalie's hand, Jasper held Alice's hand...and finally Carlisle held Esme's hand.

Edward released Bella's hand and came closer to the pyre. Edward lit a golden cigarette lighter and threw it upon the pyre.

The wood, having been saturated with vampire venom began to blaze immediately.

As the purplish smoke began to ascend into the clouds...the Cullens once again smelled the sweet scent of Christopher. Although they could not cry, there was much wailing and sobbing.

Carlisle remembered the lullaby that Helena would sing to Christopher and he sang it in his head.

"If the sun stopped shining' you'd be so surprised," "You'd stare at the heavens with wide open eyes," "And the wind would carry your light to the skies," "And the sun would start shining again.""

'If the wind stopped blowing then the land would be dry," "And your boat wouldn't sail, and your kite wouldn't fly," "And the grass would see your troubles and she'd tell the wind," "And the wind would start blowing again."

"If the grass stopped growing why you'd probably cry," "And the ground would be watered by the tears from your eyes", "And like your love for me the grass would grow so high", "Yes, the grass would start growing again, "

"If you stopped loving me then the grass would stop growing", "The sun would stop shining and the wind would stop blowing", "So you see if you want to keep this old world a going," "You better start loving me again.

Once the fire had died down to ashes...Emmett stepped forth and gathered the ashes placing them in a small sweet smelling cedar box. As the family sobbed, Emmett presented Carlisle with the small cedar box.

Suddenly Carlisle recalled the day that he had discovered Christopher living in a stable. Then something Christopher said went through Carlisle's mind.

Christopher: "I used to run freely with the wild deer as part of their herd. Running with the breeze in my hair as I traveled with them through the forest, through the meadows and over the hills."

Then Carlisle recalled how he had answered Christopher.

Carlisle: "All I'd have to do is take you in my arms and we could go anywhere. You'd again feel the wind rushing through your hair like you did when you ran with the deer."

Suddenly Carlisle knew what to do. He removed the top of the cedar box. Then, as a great gust of wind swept by...Carlisle flung Christopher's ashes into the air to be carried away by the wind and into the thick forest.

Carlisle watched until all his son's ashes were carried on the wind and disappeared among the forest growth.

Carlisle closed his eyes and said, "Now you are truly free and can once again run with the wild deer and feel the blowing wind in your hair."

It was more of a prayer than a statement.