Chapter 29

Synopsis: Carlisle and Christopher return to England. Christopher explains some of his strange behavior, slipping out at night and going to churches. Christopher also presents Carlisle with a father's ring and a large wooden cross.

OUR FINAL YEAR IN ENGLAND

I took Christopher in my arms and rushed from France to England again. We only stopped for Christopher to eat and relieve himself.

We finally reached a ferry to take us across the English Channel, using up the bit of money that I had with me. Normally I'd swim the channel... but I didn't want to risk Christopher in the freezing waters.

Once in England, I rushed Christopher and myself back to my father's house and my original home in Sheltingham. I had not been back to my home there in ages...before Christopher was ever born.

The house had deteriorated somewhat since Helena and I had first lived here. I'd have to replace all the windows...and part of the roof as well.

I went through a window carrying Christopher...he was going to tidy up while I went to the banks to check over my personal holdings there.

I still had more than enough money in my previous bank accounts...add with a little forgery here and there I was again wealthy.

I hired workmen to transform the house into the lovely cottage that it once had been.

I also purchased furniture after most of the house was complete. The cottage was located just outside of Sheltingham, it was perfect...not to close to the township and not too close to the forest either

Our cottage was red-brick white shutters. It had a family room, a kitchen, and three small bedrooms. There was no water-closet, but there was an outhouse close by in the back yard.

Days went by...and then months...and I was incredibly happy. I only felt melancholy from time to time since the house reminded me so much of Helena. The cottage was Helena's and my first home together. I had asked her to marry me in this very house.

I again began to buy things for Christopher. I hired a sewing woman from town and had her create several outfits for my son, as well as for myself. I purchased him a platinum St. Christopher's medal, and gold and silver rings for his fingers. I wanted the very best for my son...and I did my utmost to make sure he received the best of the best.

I tried to avoid buying toys...taking Alexandra's suggestion. But I struggled not to treat Christopher as a child...although he still looked around eight or nine.

Even though I had stopped killing humans for the most part, I could feel that Christopher was still unhappy. Something deep within him was troubled...and I never could get him to discuss it with me.

One night Christopher disappeared again. I began searching the churches of Sheltingham and finally discovered him in a small church. Christopher's eyes seemed glued onto the crucifix as he knelt in prayer.

I told Christopher that we were leaving the church at once. He just ignored me...which was not something he did very often...all he did was stop kneeling and sat on the church pew. I sat down beside him and watched his gaze upon the crucifix.

 I sat down beside him and watched his gaze upon the crucifix

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.