Chapter 17

It's been about 2 weeks since Jason left, and it took every inch of my being to not reach out to him, but I did what I was good at, just buried myself in work and taking care of Luke; I haven't answered or returned his calls or texts till he final...

It's been about 2 weeks since Jason left, and it took every inch of my being to not reach out to him, but I did what I was good at, just buried myself in work and taking care of Luke; I haven't answered or returned his calls or texts till he finally stopped reaching out to me. But each day around the same time, right after dinner, Luke's little iPad would start to ring in his room, he set the volume too high so he wouldn't miss Jason's video calls, and even though it was late in New York, he never missed a call, Luke's face always lit up seeing Jason smiling back through the screen.

There were times when I would hear his voice and my heart would break, or when I would catch a glance of the screen and see Jason smiling back made me miss him even more, they would talk about each other's days, and describe the time he would have with Steven and Michelle as well.

Today Luke would spend this weekend with Matt's parents. They did find out that I broke up with Jason, they weren't too thrilled cause they too like him but Luke would tell them how he always still called and checked up on Luke, and they were happy that he kept his word on being a good example of a man for their grandson.

They were disappointed at me. They thought that I would have really settled down with him, so they were shocked when they found out that I didn't go with him to New York but were even more surprised when I told them I was the one who chose to broke it off. How did I know that? Well Lisa told me she said that her parents were disappointed, but they knew the decision was mines to make, and they had to respect it.

It was valentine's day, and as always, I was at work; since all the lovers were out celebrating, I was the nurse that would take the shifts that no one wanted because, let's face it, I didn't have valentine nor date plans. But at least Michelle was with me; Steven had to go out of town for an endorsement meeting, so he too would be gone for 3 days.

Michelle and I sat at the nurse's station eating our lunch. Since the rest of the nurses went on their break, we noticed the double doors to the wing open up. Another flower arrangement and delivery man walked in since it was the most romantic day of the year we would have a dozen deliveries for our patients since their families send them.

"Oh, how beautiful, what's the name, sir, so we can find out which room the patient belongs to," Michelle says as I continue to eat my sandwich "oh, um, let me check real quick," pulling out his little clip board.

"Maria Johnson," he answers "so which room?" the delivery man looks at us.

I drop my sandwich, and I told him that I would take it. He smiles and nods his head as he waves goodbye while Michelle admires the flowers. I sit back down in my seat, staring at the beautiful huge bouquet of flowers on the nurse's station.

"Wow, that is really beautiful, Maria" she says while searching for the card. "it can't be from him, I broke up with him, I haven't answered any of his texts or calls," I said aloud but she was ignoring me "found it, honey, I am willing to bet this is from him just read the card," Michelle says handing it over to me.