Chapter 5

It was the last day of the camp, and the boys had their little game day competition against the other little teams, so it was a one-game lost-out kind of deal until it was the last 2 standing; they would take a little break in between for the fina...

It was the last day of the camp, and the boys had their little game day competition against the other little teams, so it was a one-game lost-out kind of deal until it was the last 2 standing; they would take a little break in between for the final game. I made sure that I also had that day off so I could be there with everyone else; the guys wanted to make blue shirts to wear with our boys names on them so we could wear them, and as I put mine on, it was a little smaller than I realized. Usually, I would wear a small, but the shirts tend to shrink as I put them into the dryer, but for some reason, this medium was fitting as a small; it rode just above my skinny jeans, but it was such a nice shirt, and I would be so proud to wear my son's name on my back and his number.

Michelle and Lisa were also coming, so I had their shirts with me, and they said they would meet me at the stadium to change. Yesterday I was shocked when she told me that her husband was one of the players with Jason coaching our boys. I was thankful that I didn't mention Jason's name around her. I just told some guy when I mentioned him that one time. The ladies tried to pry since then, but I would always change the subject.

But it did help me on making the decision to let Jason be a guy mentor around Luke; she even threw in Steven to be one when I told her about when Jason offered to be a guy mentor and buddy for Luke; I was comforted in knowing that if Michelle trusted him and that he was a good guy plus I trust her judgment.

I just was a bit surprised when I finally realized that Steven was her husband. I knew he looked weirdly familiar when I met him that one time at the gala a while back; I was also getting tipsy of 1 glass of wine. Plus, he never really comes to the hospital since his job took him away a lot, she always said. She mentioned that he played football, but there were football teams all over California, different kinds of leagues, divisions, etc.

I even went on a date with an arena football player that my dad knew as one of his coworker's son but never did I think that he was an actual NFL player; Michelle wasn't flashy, she was down to earth, and I been invited many times to her BBQs. Still, I was always either working or I just I wasn't in the mood, which was most of the time, plus I had Luke, so it would be hard to find sitters at such last minute, She and I been working together for about 2 years, but we clicked instantly. She is a good friend and so sweet to Luke whenever I would bring him to work on his offseason for football.

We got to the stadium, and Luke was bouncing off the walls from the excitement; these few days, I noticed such a happy spirit he became he would always look forward to going to camp, seeing the boys, and being around the guys, he would talk about the drill they would do. The funny stuff Jason and Steven would do while teaching drills.

Now I see what Luke meant when he talked about just having another guy to hang out with; I was very thankful for both Steven and Jason, and now knowing at least more about who Steven was, I would definitely take up Michelle's offers for BBQs at her place. Still, they were also trying to start a family, so I wouldn't want to bother them much even I'm sure Michelle will tell me it wasn't. But Jason, there was something about him; he was very caring and genuine every time I would see him, my heart would race, and after that, a flash of guilt would hit me. Can I really move on from Matthew?