Chapter 16

It was my last workout with the team

It was my last workout with the team. We had our last game to play in 2 days, and it would be time to hang up my jersey for San Diego since the next time I put on a jersey, it would be a Giant's one. The staff was sad to see me go, and my teammates were a bit surprised when they found out about my trade, but they couldn't do anything about it, well neither could I.

"Damn man, I still can't believe that you are going to be gone; how did Maria take the news?" Steven asked me.

"Well, she was shocked, of course, but I had to tell her right away, or else she would have found out from the press. It just sucks because we had such a great Christmas holiday together," I admitted.

"Yeah, man, I understand. Is she going with you to New York? Cause Michelle doesn't even know either," he shrugs.

"I don't know, when we spoke about it, I told her to take some time to think about it, and so we haven't brought it up since; I don't want to push her, she has a lot to think about, she has Luke as well to consider in this, we aren't married, and I don't think she's ready for marriage just yet, and a proposal will just overwhelm her" I confessed with a sigh.

"Understandable, man, but you know even if it takes a bit longer for her to make her mind up, she will be in good hands here; Michelle and I, along with her family, Are here, I'll check in and hang out with Luke from time to time they will be fine." He looks at me, assuring me, and I was grateful.

"But that's it, bro, I don't want that, I want Maria and Luke, I want to be the one to spend time with him, come home to them, you know they are my family now it would be so weird to not have them there in New York." Holding back a tear just thinking about a life without them.

"I know, man, but as you said, she has Luke to think about, and she will make the decision that is best for him and his stability; she's always been like that Michelle says, how does Luke feel about the trade? He pats my shoulder.

"Well, Luke is trying to be tough, you know, he understands that it's part of the sport, and he knows that I didn't do it on purpose. I promised him I would always keep in touch. I will come down here as much as I can in the offseason, so he was happy about that, but you can sense a bit of sadness with the topic, so I'm just trying to spend as much time with him since it makes him happy he's a really mature kid sometimes I'm surprised at that he may even be a bit more mature than my brother Kevin" chuckling at the thought but also shaking my head in disappointment that I'm in this situation.

"He's a strong kid, you know, and he will be fine like I said I'd be here, but I hope it really works out, man," Steven says with a sad smile.

We gather our things as we leave the facility, I stop by to look at the field again, and I shake my head in disbelief; I couldn't believe what was happening, everything was moving so fast, and even though it was what I wanted last season I was told by Chris it fell through. But now, here I was, about 2 weeks away from moving up to NYC. I had a few endorsement deals, a lot of new people to meet up there, and I needed to meet with the GM and be ready for spring camp.