Chapter 11

After Jason met the family at our family BBQ, it surprised me on how well he fit in so naturally; what shocked me the most was that Matthews family also loved him, which was the biggest worry for me, that Sunday was a big eye-opener for me, usuall...

After Jason met the family at our family BBQ, it surprised me on how well he fit in so naturally; what shocked me the most was that Matthews family also loved him, which was the biggest worry for me, that Sunday was a big eye-opener for me, usually Sunday BBQs would be my parents, some times Matt's family and a few of our close family friends.

When I brought him over, I did give Lisa a heads up to let her parents know, and they honestly seemed thrilled, which surprised me. Since I started dating Jason, guilt would always wash over me whenever I felt happy with him. Moments after making love and just being held at night again by another man who wasn't him was hardest initially, even after 5 years without him.

But on that Sunday, I watched Jason interact with both grandfathers naturally; during halftime, they all went out and threw the ball around; he played with Luke and the other children making the older men smile and the women too. There was a moment that Matt's mother pulled me to the side, and with the mist in her eyes, she held me and told me that her heart is finally at ease.

Those words hit me like bricks. Was I really causing her heart stress? I thought to myself; She saw the confusion in my eyes. "Dear, what's with the face?" she said, then understood why.

"Maria, I'm finally at ease because it's been 5 years since Matthew was killed; we will always love our son, and Luke will never forget about his father, but the loneliness and sadness in your eyes were too much for us to bear at times, we understand everyone grieves differently, and we hoped that one day you will find a good man to continue to live on with life, and to love you and love our Luke just as much, But as the years passed that sadness just grew and we saw Luke with the same sadness" but then her eyes looked straight into mines.

"But today, I see my grandson have a gleam in his eyes, and that man out there has the same gleam in his, we can all see how much he adores you both, and my heart is at ease, Matthew would have wanted it this way." She said, placing her hand on my shoulder comforting me.

I nodded as a tear ran down my cheek, and she just held me in her embrace for a minute. Lisa then came to break up hug with a drink, and we headed back out to see everyone enjoying a beautiful Sunday.

Now the past few weeks have been pretty busy; Jason had a few away games and practices, but he always checked in on us from time to time; last week, we spoke about him staying over a bit more at the house with consideration for Luke, of course, he brought some of his things over. It was nice to have him there at night for dinners and waking up in the mornings with him.

Most mornings, Jason would actually make Luke breakfast before heading to the bus stop for school. He was such a kind and patient man, but after learning about his family and knowing he had younger siblings, I can see where he got all that maturity from.

If Jason didn't have days where he had promotional shoots or when he was on the road, he would be the one to be practicing drills with Luke at a nearby field with Steven or go to to his peewee practices, and I will end up meeting them both at the park where the practices were held. Our lives were starting to blend well, and it was amazing and terrifying at the same time.