Chapter 3

It was a busy day at work today, so I was glad to be at my son's little football game; I watched him run back and forth on the football field, his smile more expansive than ever as he hustles on each play, compared to most of the kids his age he i...

It was a busy day at work today, so I was glad to be at my son's little football game; I watched him run back and forth on the football field, his smile more expansive than ever as he hustles on each play, compared to most of the kids his age he is a bit bigger in frame and height. It was thanks to Matthew; He always towered over me since I stood at 5'6 since high school, and even most of his family relatives were a lot shorter than him. Lisa was just an inch tall than I was.

Matt stood at 6'2, and he was built with all muscle, but he wasn't really buff. Instead, he was leaner in body type; Matt also loved working out, hiking even running back in high school. He was an all-around athlete I was too but not at the level he was; he was a natural athlete, but what was funny was that he wasn't an overly competitive person, He was in track and field, mainly long-distance running, which didn't acquire strong competitive drive since you compete against numbers and he was on the soccer team as well he was actually the star player since his stamina from track helped him a lot in the sport, he was a jock through and through and one of the most popular guys in school.

Matt always emphasized the importance of teamwork and brotherhood over the power-hungry competition. He was also pretty popular in school because he was kind, handsome, and also smart. In certain classes besides science, he hated science. There was a lot of envy against me when we started dating in high school, but he always protected me from those girls and all the hate I had to go through; he was my knight in shining armor, but now he's gone, and all that's left are those memories and a very headstrong seven year old that at times looks like him by the way he wrinkles his nose when something doesn't go his way or the way he pouts when he's sad always reminded me of Matt and how he was when he was alive.

So seeing my baby boy Luke out there on the field tugged at my heart a little on my heart; there were always times when I would think how Matt would feel if he were to see him playing sports and watch him grow up in general, but I always remind myself that filling my head with "what ifs" isn't always healthy.

As I look up from checking a worktext I received, I see him run towards the end zone after catching the ball. He scores for his team, I cheer along with everyone in our little sideline section, and I see his smile partially through the front of his helmet, his arms raised high in victory; I loved seeing him so happy.

After a few more minutes, the game ended, and his team won their game; the coaches and his teammate's parents circled the kiddos, and we started setting up the snacks that we made for the kids, we always split snack duty amongst us, so this time it was my turn along with a few other parents.

"Mommy! Did you see that touchdown I did!" he says, looking at me with sweat dripping down his forehead and a smile. "I sure did, bubs! You were a football monster," I say with excitement hugging him, and as I wrapped him up in my embrace he chuckled in my arms.

The kids line up and start grabbing some food and drinks we just laid out while I talked among the parents there, catching up on how everyone's week has been. We all were a pretty close little group. Most of them were married and have known each other's children for a few years. There was only one other single parent named Johnny. He was friendly but just was not my type, and I made sure to let him know and be openly honest with him the first time he made a pass at me; he understood, and thankfully he took it fine and haven't been awkward towards each other at all ever since. The coach walked over to the group of adults with a bunch of packets tucked under his arm and smiled at us.