▷ 25th of July, 2014 ◁

Start from the beginning

A few moments later, we were both in pyjamas, watching a movie in the living room under a blanket. Neither of us were tired, but we were sick of playing Fifa, so a movie was the next best thing.

"Wait!" Luke suddenly exclaimed as the movie was starting. He clambered off the couch and hurried down the hallway, probably to his room. I frowned, pausing the movie, and almost rolled my eyes when I saw him come back with his camera, a pen, and a grin.

"Come on," he grinned, seeing the look on my face. He clambered back beside me and gave me the biggest puppy dog eyes he could. "I got new black and white film, and I want to try it out! Come on, please?"

I rolled my eyes, before smiling. "Alright, fine."

"Yay!" he giggled, kissing my cheek quickly before beginning to busy himself with his camera. I, on the other hand, was trying not to replay that tiny kiss in my head over and over.

Finally, he poised the camera in front of the two of us, and I half-heartedly stuck my tongue out as the flash went off. Luke smiled, pulling the film out and setting it aside to dry before handing me the pen.

I groaned, and he batted his eyelashes at me. "Come on. Please?"

For a brief moment, I lost myself in his wide blue eyes, trying to decipher the emotion behind them. There was something more to the way he was looking at me, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

So instead, I looked away, taking the pen from his hand and trying to ignore the way our fingers brushed.

He pulled off the film from the photo and handed it to me, and I smiled upon seeing it. I heard Luke click the movie on, and I sat there for another moment, twirling the pen in my hand, until finally something came to mind. It was a little risky, but... It was worth a shot.

I scribbled down a caption before casually handing the photo and the pen back to Luke, trying not to make it a big deal. I heard him let out a little laugh and uncap the pen himself, causing me to turn to look at him. He wrote something else down underneath before showing it to me, and I laughed.

"Alright, are we done? Can we watch the movie?"

"Of course, CalPal," he mused, but draped an arm around my shoulder and pulling the blanket up around us. I ignored the butterflies in my stomach as I leaned my head on his shoulder, trying to get comfortable.

Almost halfway through the movie, though, when the main character was about to confess to the guy of her dreams (but also the biggest douchebag ever) how she felt, the butterflies started acting up, and this time they wouldn't stop, no matter how hard I tried. I tilted my head ever so slightly to look up at Luke, who was intently watching the movie, and bit my lip. I'm going to tell him.

Taking a deep breath, I sat up, earning a confused look from the purple-haired boy beside me. "Cal? What's up?"

"I- Uh-" I squeaked, then internally cringed. Yeah, good going, Calum. 

Luke reached over to pause the movie, but I stopped him. The background noise was reassuring. I don't think I'd be able to tell him with the silence whistling behind us. "Uh, can I tell you something?"

"Yeah, of course, anything," he furrowed his eyebrows, seemingly worried. Hunh, that was new. Someone other than my Mum worrying about me, I mean.

"I- I- I don't really know how to say this, seeing as I've never had to before," I chuckled, looking away from his fixed gaze. "And I know I'm making a fool out of myself right now, but I- I don't know. I just felt like I should tell you."

"Tell me what, Cal?" he asked quietly, his arm sliding around my shoulders once more and squeezing me reassuringly.

"Tell you how I feel about you," I blurted out, my gaze meeting his. I tried to keep my eyes locked on his as I said the next words, "Because I thi- I really, really like you. More than someone should like their best friend. That's why Mali suggested I surprise you. Um... She told me it was worth telling you, so here I am. I like you, Luke."

He was silent for a few moments, trying to mull over what I had just said, before he broke out into a huge grin. He pulled me closer, hugging me, and I sighed in relief that he hadn't tried to kiss me or anything. I didn't want to repulse him this early with my lack of skills. I hugged him back tightly, giggling as I asked, "So, should I take this as you feeling the same?"

"Yes, you idiot," he grinned, pulling away to cup my face between his hands. Some screaming from the movie made the two of us jump, but he just laughed, leaning his forehead against mine. "You know I like you."

"I- I assumed that after meeting me and-"

"You idiot," he repeated breathily, his eyes fluttering down to my lips, and I gulped. He must've sensed my nervousness, however, because the next words he said were, "You've never kissed anyone, have you?"

I shook my head, my hand coming up to wrap around one of his wrists. Luke just smiled, brushing his nose against mine.

"Can I kiss you?" he asked quietly, and I wanted to say yes, I really did.

But instead, I said, "I- I don't know if I'll be good en-"

"Shut up," he breathed out, his lips curled up in an easy smile. "Shut up and hit me with your best shot."

I gave him a small smile and he leaned closer to me, so close that I could feel his breath brushing my lips. My eyes slipped shut easily and when his lips met mine, I didn't feel those fireworks everyone goes on about, but that's alright. I knew that was sappy bullshit anyways.

However, I kind of figured out what to do along the way, and feeling his lips against mine was such a foreign feeling but it did make me feel warm all over and happy, I think (Oh, yeah. And that's not sappy?).

His hands fell from my face to wrap around my waist and pull me closer, and I smiled a little. Yeah, this was definitely happiness.