Chapter 43: The Grid

Crack

Tommy had kicked one of the red warning signs. "Ugh... these stupid red signs are all over the city. They're literally on every street corner and block."

I cringed a bit at the action, but nonetheless continued to match my pace with the group's.

"Y'know we actually saw some VILE workers put these signs up after climbing out of the sewers. You think the placement of these things are intentional? Is there something hidden down there?" Sapnap spoke up.

I looked down at the ground, at the supposed hidden something. "If it is intentional... what is it?"

The group now stopped in front of a closed manhole cover. I watched as Sapnap bent down and wrapped his fingers around the metal cover. He grunted twisted the cover off, lifting it up with a struggle then pushing it aside. "Let's find out."

I now stared down into the dark hole and at the rusty, steel ladder leading into the darkness.

Sapnap stood up from his squatting position on the ground. "After you."

~

"Smells in here." Tommy complained.

"Yea no shit." Quackity responded. "No pun intended."

I chuckled at the interaction, the sound of laughter echoed off the walls of the long chambers. The sound of flowing water beside us seemed to calm my nerves.

My fingers still gripped the flashlight tightly, the bright light shook with the slight tremble of my hand. It was getting colder and colder the longer we explored.

"We have to find something soon or we're gonna freeze like popsicles down here." Tubbo seemed to shake due to the chilling temperatures as well.

Everyone laughed at the jokes being thrown left and right about the trashy conditions of the sewer system.

"Agreed." Wilbur added with a breathy giggle.

We reached a four way intersection and stopped.

"Which way?" I asked to no one in particular.

Techno began to suggest an idea. "What if half of us go down one way and the others-"

"No. We aren't splitting up." I interrupted. "Not again."

There was a moment of uncomfortable silence. I finally sighed and broke the awkward quietness. "Let's go left."

I pointed my flashlight down the left tunnel and turned left at the corner. Soon I could hear sounds of footsteps coming in contact with the watery ground behind me.

I didn't turn my head to look at the group, I could already sense their discomfort. They already knew why I reacted in such a way.

I felt myself trip over something and fall to the wet ground. "Oof."

"You okay?!" Sapnap rushed forward and offered a hand to help me up.

"Yea, yea I just tripped over something." I was hoisted up and I dusted myself off. I hadn't realized that I dropped my flashlight in the process and I bent down to pick it up. The light flickered a bit and shone on-

Oh no...

I gasped loudly and backed into Sapnap. I shook my head and my voice shook. "No... no."

Sapnap reached for my arms from behind me and pulled me to his chest for a quick embrace.

As he looked over my shoulder, I could feel his stable heartbeat turn abnormal. His breathing sped up and I could feel it on my neck. His tight grasp loosened and his arms fell as he started to back away in fear as well.