Chapter 34: Unkept Promises

"Did he eat any?" Quackity asked Sapnap who walked down the stairs with a full plate of cold, untouched food.

Sapnap looked to the ground in disappointment and shook his head. He moved to the trash and discarded the meal, then proceeded to wash the plate as usual. Everyone sat in silence and listened to the sound of running water.

"Did he say anything?" Karl asked once the sound ceased.

Sapnap set the dish to dry on a wooden rack and turned to face Karl and the group who sat at the table. Not one word left his mouth in response. The silent boy just stood in front of the table.

"You wanna sit and talk?" Karl looked up at Sapnap.

Sapnap looked like he would burst into tears at any given moment. "No, I think I'm just gonna go to bed. I need some rest." He said with a shaky voice.

"Okay... just tell us if you need anything." Quackity told Sapnap.

The teary eyed boy nodded and began to advance towards the stairs. He hadn't put any second thought in before sprinting up the steps and quickly hiding away in his room, shutting the door behind him.

The two boys glanced at each other. "He hasn't talked to us in three in days, let alone left his room." Quackity said quietly.

"He just needs time." Karl told Quackity.

"How much? We need a leader. VILE still isn't gone yet." Quackity reminded the smaller blonde.

"I know, I know. We need to act. But we need Dream to lead. We can't do this without him."

Quackity sighed. "But cities are being torn apart. They expect us to save them and help them. But we aren't there. What about the microchips. What about the kids, people like..." he paused before speaking, "like George."

"We'll save them. We will. Dream will think of a plan." Karl reassured the boy near him. "I know he will."

—————————————————————-

"C'mon you don't want any? It's your favorite... spaghetti." Sapnap now held the plate of untouched food.

It was Dream's favorite meal, but also George's.

"I'm not hungry. It's fine." I responded, my back facing him. I laid on my side of the bed, my right leg became sore the longer I stayed in the position. I'd been sulking for days in the same spot. I had yet to take off the bloodied clothes from that night.

"Dream you haven't moved from that one spot and actually cared for yourself in the past three days. You haven't even taken off the clothes from then, you should wash them."

"I don't want to." I replied quietly, still not looking at Sapnap.

"Why not?" Sapnap asked.

I didn't want to say it, I just kept my mouth shut. But Sapnap wanted an answer. "Why not?" Sapnap asked again.

I hesitated and took in a deep breath. He wasn't going to let this go. "I miss him Nick." I rarely call Sapnap by his real name. Judging from the silence that grew by the second, he must have been surprised.

"You need to let go." Sapnap broke the silence.

"But it hurts. I can't," my voice cracked a bit. I took in ragged breaths.

"I know. But it's the best thing to do right now. Dream... we need you. We can't sit and watch while you're in pain. We can't do this alone. They've got more shipments coming, they want to-"