Chapter 15: Can't have your cake and eat it too

(I'm just gonna put this here...grab your tissues and put on some sad music while reading. Sorry in advance.)

Tw: Gore

We walked for what felt like minutes before Tubbo started conversing. He brought up amusing childhood stories and embarrassing memories he felt he should share. I appreciated that. Not too many people open up so easily. I was glad the trust was mutual.

He started to show his fast walk for a moment before bringing up another childhood memory.

"Y'know George." He started. "I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sitting outside with my sister. We were playing ball and the stupid thing rolled into the street." He laughed.

"I should've been watching. The ball rolled towards a bot. I thought I was done for, the guard turned towards me and my sister." He continued. "I was ready to be hit, I stood in front of my sister. I saw the guard fly towards us and lift its arm. I knew someone was gonna get hurt."

The look on his face was soft. "What I didn't expect was meeting my best friend at that moment. The bot swung its arm at me and my sister but..." he looked down.

"Tommy jumped in front of us. In front of me. He took the hit. He protected me." He was tearing up. "He didn't even know me. But he still protected me. I watched his limp body fall to the ground and watched him bleed."

"It was terrifying." Tubbo breathed out. "I picked him up and led him inside and took care of him. And since then he's been the same reckless yet, most caring person you'd ever meet."

Tubbo looked me in the eyes. "Tommy was stupid to run off like this but, I know why he did it. I think you know too." I looked him in the eyes. I knew where he was directing the conversation.

"I see the way you look at him. At Dream." He said softly. "We have a lot in common y'know. You don't think it's obvious, but he is closer to you than anyone else. We see it. We know George."

I looked at the ground.

Is it really that obvious?

"George?"

I couldn't stop thinking about how Dream had saved him from the guard that one night. And how much it related to Tubbo's story. He hadn't even taken a glimpse at me, yet he still risked his life to protect me. To prevent me from getting caught. I owed him.

"I know." He was smiling softly. "Thank you Tubbo."

They walked a couple more minutes in silence before reaching a final corner. I stood in front of Tubbo and glimpsed around the corner at a hallway full of doors. One door at the end was opened slightly. Two guards lay unconscious on the ground in front of the door.

Did Dream get here first?

"Get your weapon ready Tubbo." I warned. I pulled out my knife from its holder and we walked around the corner slowly. If there were any alarms we would have to be careful not to trigger them. We walked down the hallway. I gripped the hilt of my blade. We finally reached the door at the end. I was skeptical. Scratch that. Nervous. Very nervous. If we made one slip up we were dead. I started to pull open the door. I began to see a dark room appear behind the door when a last minute thoughts popped in my mind.

What if it's a trap...

I heard movement inside the room.

Too late.

The door was open fully and our weapons were lost in the movement. Me and Tubbo were thrown and kicked to the ground. Our hands were tied behind our backs and we were tossed onto the middle of the floor.