~ Chapter 17 ~

That is true.

I don't discriminate, not even for my children...

————————————

My eyes narrow behind my bangs "explain to us what you know" he says, staring down at me. I grin and sigh "unlike normal grim reapers, I did not commit suicide, which means my soul was never reaped and I was naturally born with it" I start, a giggle slides from my mouth once I finished the sentence. The man raises an eyebrow "care to share with us what you find so funny?" He asks, adjusting his glasses. I raise my hand which was hidden by my long sleeves to hide my giggles "oh it's nothing too troublesome...just that the demons find it quite...what's the word...captivating" I purr with a wicked smile, the men seemed surprised at my mention of a demon "so your saying you have run into demons?" One of them asks and I nod. "I see one atleast twice a month, though he's a tamed kitty with a master. The other I see frequently which you can probably smell. But that one can't be helped, I'm his choice of prey after all" I chuckle "and finally the third, though this one is seen only on rare occasions. You know how my mother died so I'll save you the details" I say darkly. The room is quiet once more, the tension that I thought couldn't get thicker did. Soon the silence is broken with another question "what is your plan when it comes to the reaper dispatch? Do you plan on 'retiring' as your father did, or staying?" Another man asks, I shrug "my plan was to remain a grim reaper...until I become bored that is. In fact, I was planning to come by in two days to announce my retirement, and to hopefully be allowed to leave without hurting anyone" I explain. More questions are thrown at me about my abilities, strength, family ties, etc. after about an hour I'm told to wait outside and I do.

 I lean against the white walls before I hear running towards me. I'm enveloped in a tight hug by two people "oh Ebony! I'm so glad your alright! If they hurt you I'm going to gut them open!" Grell's voice rings in my ears, Ron releases me and smirks from behind the ginger "you won't go down without a fight though, I'm sure" he says and I nod. Grell finally pulls away, rage lighting her face "I told William not to say anything but he never listens to me!" She shouts, pointing down the hallway as I see William making his way over to us slower than the other two. I sigh  and shake my head "it's alright Grell, I'll be fine" I giggle. Before I could say anything to William I'm called back in, Grell and Ron wish me luck before I stand at the podium once more. I won't lie when I say I'm nervous, but a side of me hopes that they want to kill me or detain me so that I can show them I don't play around. Finally the man in the middle speaks and I find myself strangely holding my breath "We have come to an agreement. Midnight Ebony Crevan you are hereby sentenced to immediate execution. You are a danger to all four realms and must be dealt with immediately" he says, my blood almost stops but I burst into psychotic laughter as four more reapers step into the room. Everyone is quiet as I laugh, finally I calm down and my expression turns to one of cold hatred "I was hoping to get out of this without a blood bath but...you chose the hard way. So now you shall live with the consequences" I growl, there was some yelling but I tuned everything out. Before I knew it I was covered in blood and smirking darkly, my split eyes in full view as I pull my scythe blade out of a reaper's body. I had killed the two newcomers, Grell and Ron and William burst in just to see me disappear and exit the realm. I  laughed psychotically only to break down and fall to my knees, I felt warm arms wrap around me and I smelled Darren's scent, he pulled me close as I cried into his chest. The stench of blood swam around us in a fog, I knew he understood what happened. She picks me up bridal style and races along the roof tops, the sun was beginning to set as we finally got to Undertaker's shop. Darren pushed the door open and father was by my side in seconds, sliding me from Darren's grip and sitting me down on a coffin and wiping my tears that had mixed with the blood on my cheeks "listen carefully Ebony. I am entrusting you to Darren, after you left we had a talk" he tells me, I try to object because I still had to kill Claude, I had people here I didn't want to leave behind, especially him but he shakes his head. "No. I will be fine, Darren will take you somewhere safe and you can live peacefully. I will take care of that demon, I promise to write to you and when it is safe to return I will come find you, but you must go! I have called Grell, she will help you out of the city, just please be safe" he tells me, tears still pour down my cheeks but I couldn't object so I just nod "I love you..." I whisper, he kisses my forehead before Darren comes down the stairs, a suit case in his hands. He must have went upstairs while we spoke, my father slides a book into my arms and I notice it's mother's. A silver and a dark blue ribbon had been tied together as a book mark, a locket is also pressed into my other palm. It held a picture of mother and father. The mortician sighs and we hug once more before Grell steps in "if we are to go you must clean the blood away, you'll be too easy to track" she says, taking my hand quickly.

Finally we're all racing through London as the night sky appears overhead. Reapers were everywhere, we did our best to avoid them before making it to the edge of town. This was my life now. I was now a wanted criminal, for murder and for existing. Soon a thought ran through my mind, I would never kill another reaper unless they deserved it. I mean those reapers were going to kill me but...that wasn't me...

Perfect. Just blood perfect.