¥ Chapter 3 ¥

She didn't want to leave you.

I hope you understand that...

———————————————————

I went back to the human realm to go see my mother's grave, Ciel and the others were on a trip but they allowed me to visit the manor whenever I wanted, they have been gone for a week now and they'd be back by the next. I stand in the beautiful garden, now covered in flowers since it was summer, dark blue roses grew over my mother's grave. I stared down at it "how are you doing mum?..." I muttered, a smile creeped onto my face "heh...I'm talking to a gravestone...because your dead and I haven't been here in years" I say, spinning on my heel going to walk away but something stops me, I turn back around to face the stone and the picture I made when I was little was hanging from on top of the gravestone, it had been secured by a vine, the paper caught on its thorns. I stared at it, puzzled beyond belief. The thing hadn't torn or worn down? It was still here, through the rain and wind...I tried pulling on the paper but the vines did something I didn't think was possible, they tightened over the paper, not allowing me to take it. I sighed, bastion must have put a spell on the stone or something and the paper was melded into said spell. "And yet...I still wonder what you were like...everyone gives me what they knew but...I want to know the real you...but only father knows about those things, doesn't he?..." I sigh, asking him would ruin his mood schedule. I can make him laugh and smile but then he just goes back to his serious or hollow saddened expression.

I took a deep breath and turned "bye mum...I'll start coming by more often" I mutter knowing what I have to do. I went to the shop and stepped inside, father was at the parlor counter, a dress lay over it. He was just...staring at it, "papa?" I questioned, he looked up quickly and took the dress, scrambling to stuff it in a cabinet "Ebony!...What are you doing home so early?..." he asked, sweat dropping as he didn't look at me, keeping his hands on the cabinet's handles. I pulled my bangs back, eyes narrowing "I think it's time we stopped keeping things from each other...I want to know about mum" I say, he's quiet for a moment before his hands slowly open the cabinet, taking the dress back out. It was a beautiful white dress and it looked like it was made for a...wedding? I looked confused as he turned around, setting the dress back on the counter and smoothing it out. He didn't look up, his bangs continuing to hide his eyes as his mouth was pressed in a thin line. He sighed in defeat "you...want to know about...Luna?" He asked, trying to confirm as it took him a moment to say mum's name. I nodded, he smiled slightly "well...I guess one thing to know is that...this was her dress...she wore it for our wedding" he mumbled, his taloned hand sliding across the beautiful white that made up the gown. I walked up to the counter, running a hand over the soft white fabric as well "she must have been beautiful in it..." I muttered, he chuckled slightly, another sad sound "yes, she was very beautiful...it was also the day she informed me that she was going to have you...such a special day, it was" he says. I noticed a tear fall down his cheek, I was genuinely surprised, he never cried...at least not in front of me. "What was she like?..." I asked, he leaned on the table, still not making eye contact with me "she was kind...fast...smart...beautiful, oh so beautiful..." he says as if she was standing right next to us "and she had the most gorgeous laugh I had ever heard...it was enchanting to me...in fact, you have her laugh" he says, finally looking up at me, his bangs still covering his eyes. I knew it was hard for him to say these things so I listened carefully, I probably wouldn't get another chance like this one to hear about my mother.

"And...she died the day after your birth...which reminds me..." he mutters, pulling out a small box with two ribbons tied around it. One silver and the other midnight blue like the ones I had worn, he handed it to me and I opened it, inside was a locket, kind of like papa's lockets. Inside was a picture of him and mum, she was holding something in her arms as papa leaned over her, a bright smile on his face. I guessed that was me, inside was also a beautiful dark blue tuft of hair, I glanced up at him "it's a locket I made after her death and since yesterday was your birthday...I thought today would be the better day to give it to you" he says. I smile slightly, setting the box down and I bunny hop the counter, hugging him tightly. He hugs me back, I could sense a smile on his face, a real one "it's perfect" I mutter, after a moment a question hits me hard sending me into a sadness and guilt I had never known I had "d-did...did I cause her to die...?" My question came out in a whisper. I felt him tense and he pulled away slightly, tipping my chin and forcing me to look up at him "why would you ever think that!? Your mother died in your stead, yes, but she did it to keep us safe...it was not your fault, and I love you just as much as I did the day you were born and nothing can change that fact, your my child...I could never blame you for something like that because it was never your fault" he assures me.