~ Chapter 15 ~

That is true...

But maybe killing him will be worth it?

————————————————-

"You bloody fools!" William scolds. Grell, Ron, and I were standing there, covered in blood. I shrugged with a grin and began to giggle like my father, Grell just smirked "oh come now William! They were on the to-die list anyways!" She says, Ron chuckles "yeah, we just...sped up the process, that's all!" He says, rubbing the back of his neck. I burst into laughter "AHAHAHA! Sped up the....AHAHAHA" I couldn't even form the words as I fell over, William seemed unamused as grell and Ron stared down at me. 

So your probably wondering what happened and what is currently going on. Well let me just rewind a bit.

I walked into the company building and nibbled on a biscuit, my death scythe draped over my shoulder and in the grip of my other hand. I spotted Grell and Ron, pointing at a list and talking about something, I grinned and walked over to them "what are you two doing?" I asked curiously, the ginger and the blonde glance at me "oh, William gave us an assignment. Apparently a group of murderers are going to die at some point today, and by a grim reaper's hands" Grell says with a sigh, Ron narrowed his eyes "it's strange, the higher ups think it's weird as well because the list doesn't say the name of the reaper either so it could be anyone. We have been instructed to observe the group until their death" he says, I smirk "why not just kill them instead? I mean if a grim reaper is going to do it, and no specific one, then why not?" I ask, they stare at me dumbfounded and I giggle. Grell thinks for a moment "that actually sounds quite fun! Maybe I'll see Bassy while we're out!" She says brightly. Ron smirks and closes the book "then it's official!" He says.

So yeah...now we are here

"Besides, Ron and I only got two kills. Ebby killed the other four!" Grell says, glancing down at me as I curl into a ball, continuing to laugh "their faces! AHAHAHA absolutely priceless!!" I cry out in a stupor. Finally I relax and stand, brushing myself off as the blood still remains on my clothes. William adjusts his glasses with an angry grunt "what were you three thinking? Though, before we continue this do you mind explaining to me what happened and why you thought you should kill them? I specifically told you to observe and now you have landed me with more overtime" he huffs. The three of us look at each other before I sigh and lean on a nearby wall "Isn't it strange that a grim reaper would show up as the cause of death? Grim reapers don't have souls William, and the list wasn't specific. Only creatures with souls will appear as the cause of death, a creature without one will leave the cause of death blank, correct?" I ask, a dark grin appearing on my face. He narrows his eyes "what are you suggesting?" He questions, Grell and Ron listen curiously as I continue. "William...the grim reaper who was going to kill those people has a soul, that's why it's on the cause of death. It didn't give specifics because it defies the laws of nature. Grim reapers aren't supposed to have souls..." I giggle darkly and lift my head slightly, my left eye peaking out from a slit in my bangs. Everyone freezes, Ron nervously rubs the back of his neck as Grell crosses her arms over her chest and looks at William with slight worry and concern. William, however, adjusts his glasses once more "your the only grim reaper who carries a soul since you did not die. You being born has upset the balance and laws. You are the grim reaper it spoke of on the list, you are the cause of death" he says bluntly as I chuckle "yes, William. Since I have a soul I can appear on the to-die list as a cause of death or a soul to be reaped, with that being said, I am the ultimate grim reaper. The equivalent to death itself. I am dangerous but also in danger." I tell them, Grell frowns slightly "she is correct, Will. You have already reported this to the higher ups, so if they figure this out, Ebony will be..." she trailed off, unable to say the words.

It's quiet for a few minutes before my voice draws their attention once again and I straighten "as you know, I don't plan on staying here for eternity. The moment I get bored I'll be gone, the only issue is that I will be continuously hunted by the organization because I'm a threat. I can't promise I won't get involved with the society or reaper affairs when I leave and the council knows that" start before turning my head to look at William "it is your choice. You can tell them and cause a blood bath or you can keep this between us and allow me some peace for a bit longer. Though, they will figure it out at some point, how quickly depends on you" I grin before turning to the office door. Before I leave though I stop "just don't put yourselves in danger or do something you'll regret" I tell them before finally exiting William's office.

Once the door shuts I let out a sigh as I hear Grell shouting at William. I return back to the human realm and frown slightly before entering the shop. It's quiet and dark as usual but I can hear my father's humming from the basement. I walk down the dark stairs and find him working on a guest. He had just finished dressing her in a dress that was probably brought in by a family member and was now brushing out her hair. The guest was an elderly woman who seemed to have died of old age. Father turns his head to me when he hears me enter "ah! Back early? Busy day?" He asks, hinting at my clothes in his usual undertaker voice. I sigh and nod "I'm guessing you already know" I say and he chuckles "yes I do. The council will put the facts together soon and I have no doubt they'll want to actually meet you once they do" he says, continuing to work. I huff "I'm dangerous to human, angels, demons, and grim reapers. It would take a bloody miracle to keep them from killing me" I grumble as the mortician giggles "we can deal with it when the time comes, and you should probably change" he says, I grin "yeah, yeah! I know" I chuckle, making my way back up stairs and to my room.

I change into my spare robe which was identical to my other one before deciding to go for a walk. I leave a note for papa and exit the shop, making my way to a local park. My half and half hair hid my wandering gaze as I see the people around me try to avoid me or ignore me. Once I arrive at the park, watching couples pass by as I sit down under a tree, the sun's rays warming me. I hear a chuckle and glance to my left, Darren stood there with a gentle smile "nice to see you again, Ebony" he says, I smirk and roll my eyes "don't just stand there you idiot, sit" I say, patting the grass beside me. He sits next to me and I hum in content. Let's see how this goes.