~ Chapter 9 ~

Are you...

Having second thoughts?

------------------------------------

"Remember, we will be there only to observe. We mustn't draw too much attention" my father tells me as we ride in a carriage to the Trancy Manor. I sigh "fine" I mutter, I was wearing a simple dark blue dress. Something that wouldn't draw too much attention. My hair was down and a dark blue blind fold was wrapped around my eyes, hiding them so my bangs could hang to the side freely. Father smiled at me "I remember the first time me and your mother danced" he said cheerily. I rolled my eyes "come on dad! That was like 100 years ago!" l I huff and he laughs. Once we arrived we got out of the carriage and stepped inside, guests had already arrived, the smooth sound of the orchestra rang through my ears and I frowned slightly, dad said he'd be going to take a look around and advised me not to get into too much trouble. Once he disappeared within the crowd of people I let out a small sigh, walking over to one of the walls and stood there quietly, watching the dancing. My eyes traveled around behind my blindfold, searching out that demon butler and his master. Finally I spotted a flash of black and for a split second the color of golden eyes, I wanted to use my soul sense but I was too lazy at the moment.

I did spot Ciel and Sebastian though, sitting at a table with Elizabeth. I waved slightly, receiving a smile from Sebastian and a nod from Ciel. Finally I hear a loud voice coming from the stairs "welcome everyone to the Trancy ball! Tonight I hope to find a wife amongst this group of women, but most importantly I hope you enjoy the ball!" A man said, I traveled up to the person speaking. A man with short blond hair and rain blue eyes stood at the top of the stairs, he looked to be about Ciel's age making him around 27, meaning that must be Alois. I narrowed my eyes slightly from behind the cloth when I noticed his butler following him down the stairs, his golden eyes traveled to me and they widened slightly before narrowing. I frowned slightly, he must have recognized me already. Once Alois mixed into the crowd I turned and walked a different direction to test a theory. This theory was correct, two men followed after me but stopped when they noticed each other. I glanced back and noticed it was Darren and Alois's butler, I'm pretty sure his name was Claude. Great so now there are two demons...I made my way over to Ciel and muttered something to Sebastian before walking off again. Sebastian relayed my message to Ciel who frowned in annoyance and massaged his temples.

I made my way to the garden, passing four other servants who seemed to also be demons. One was female while the other three were triplet males. I walked along the grass of the garden before noticing I was being followed again by both demons, I stopped and sighed "you're both starting to annoy me, what do you want? And didn't I tell you Darren to stay away?" I growl in annoyance, turning. And there stood both demons, I crossed my arms as Claude narrowed his eyes "so you are the child" he said, Darren smirked "I follow my prey, I'm also making sure this twat doesn't steal" he says, Claude rolls his eyes as do I "look, this is a party and I don't feel like fighting tonight so if you two could leave me alone, that would be lovely. Yes, you did kill my mother, Claude but right now isn't the best time for me to kill you. And Darren, just fuck off would ya?" I huff, walking forward and pushing passed the two demons who seemed slightly stunned. I didn't wait for them and I slid back inside, holding up a black rose I had managed to snag on my way in. I smirk at it "Ebony roses...how ironic" I giggle.

I start making my way back to the dance floor but I'm stopped, Alois stands in front of me, a smile on his face "You must be Miss Midnight, am I correct?" He asks, I frown. Of course it's him. "Um, yes but I go by Ebony" I say, trying to sound polite, I could tell he was secretly judging me but that's a brat for you even if he may be an adult. He chuckles "ah! My apologies Miss Ebony! I was wondering, may I have this dance?" He asks, holding out his hand to me. I hesitate, it's not cause I couldn't dance, I was actually pretty good, it's just this is Alois. As to not blow my cover and to be polite I nod and take his hand "why not" I say, he pulls me onto the dance floor, leading me in the dance. As we dance I notice Ciel watching us with annoyance and disgust while Sebastian frowned slightly. I even noticed my Father watching, probably debating whether he should stop the dance or leave it. Alois smiles down at me "so, do you not go to many balls? Your dress doesn't seem very appealing" he asks, there he goes. I shake my head, ignoring the comment "no, not really! I'm actually not very interested in dresses" I point out, he nods. I couldn't even comprehend how badly I wanted to shove a death scythe through his chest before pulling out his spine. His grip on me was tight and uncomfortable "so, what do you do in your free time?" He asks and I shrug "I help my father in the shop, but I also like to draw and sometimes mess around with people" I answer, he seemed to like the last part but everything else seemed to uninterest him. He wants a wife who will listen to him, laugh at all of his jokes, pleasure him without asking, and a wife who doesn't talk back or defy him. This fact made me sick to my stomach.

I was nothing like that. You couldn't keep me on a leash, even the higher ups at the reaper company knew that. Finally I knew it was time to take things into my own hands and I smirked darkly "how many people have you killed?" I ask curiously, he stares down at me with slight shock at my question "how many families have you torn apart to get what you want? How many children have you left as orphans? How many women have you made widows?" I ask, my voice taking on a twisted tone. He seems to hesitate and that's when I stop dancing and grin up at him "I'm fond of death, but not of the people who cause it" I say, a teasing edge to my voice as I pull out of his grasp and turn, walking off and leaving him speechless. I could feel him glaring after me though which brought an amused and entertained smile to my features. If those three want to play around then they can play, but with my rules.

I made my way over to Sebastian and Ciel, undertaker with them as Elizabeth was off getting drinks. My father was hiding a laugh as Ciel smirked, Sebastian chuckled "You really rattled him, whatever did you say?" Ciel asks, I smile and sit down "oh, just asked him how many families he's torn apart and how many people he's killed" I giggle, father chuckles uncontrollably "and the look on those two demon's faces in the garden was priceless, yes it was!" He laughs, his undertaker voice in full effect. I smirk darkly "well if they think this is a game, fine, but I get to make the rules" I say, tracing my finger around the rim of a glass.

I'm a woman, not a child nor an object.