~ Chapter 7 ~

But you want to protect her...

Right?

----------------------------------

Darren's POV

I watch her disappear, my amusement never fading. A naturally born grim reaper with a soul, how extremely rare and intriguing. She smelled amazing, almost close to the smell of a level 9 soul. What both angered me and amused me was her ability to counter my own seduction and persuasion with her own playful and teasing personality, probably the most entertaining creature I will ever meet. I must not let anyone else steal her from my grasp, her soul is too perfect to release. She is now my target and my hunt will center around her, no one else can interfere or there will be consequences.

Forget the soul of a human. One may never get the chance to taste the soul of a grim reaper again, too great of an opportunity to pass up.

Sebastian's POV

Our expressions darkened at her statement, causing her to laugh as her father usually did but none of us said a word "Sebastian! Tell me the damn truth!" She yells, turning her attention to me. I sigh and glance down at Ciel who glances at undertaker. The silver haired man frowns and nods, causing Ciel to glance up at me. I straighten "you are correct, Ebony...you do have a soul. A fact that might outrank your naturally born presence" I explain, trying to be calm. She turns and runs a hand through her hair in agitation, revealing her split eyes. She glares at us "and you thought keeping it a secret was a good idea!? Because of the lack of intelligence you displayed by hiding it I'm now a demon's target!" She yells, at this point I would say she was beyond anger...is furious the right word? I was slightly surprised by this but I had always knew she would end up being targeted. Undertaker seemed angry but also saddened, his frown holding a heavy level of apology and despair, which was rare for the mortician.

The room was deadly quiet as my master seemed to think this over, Ebony continued to glare at us before she turns away and takes a deep breath. Undertaker's voice broke the silence, it sounded broken "Your just like your mother...both similar to glass...when your broken you develop sharp edges...but when your complete your smooth and clear...but also...so fragile..." he mutters, I noticed his lips curve into a sad smile as Ebony turns her head to look at him.

Undertaker's POV

My lips curve upward into a sad smile as Ebony turns to look at me. I didn't look at her though, my hidden eyes were focused on a memory that seemed to replace the scene before me. I saw Luna, sitting under the willow tree in her wedding dress, she turned to look at me with a gentle and bright smile. I grit my teeth and stand "I WANTED TO PROTECT YOU" I shout, everyone seemed shocked. I had never raised my voice like that before, tears streamed down my face as I turned away from them "I...I wanted to keep you safe...I lost your mother because I failed to protect her...I don't want to lose my only child...I don't want to fail again...your mother was my world! Luna was my everything! But I couldn't save her...now you're my everything, Midnight...and I told myself I would keep you safe..." my voice cracked as I drew in a shaky breath, I could feel their gazes burning into me as I spoke "but now I fear I did the opposite...your a strong young reaper with exceptional skills and instincts...I know that now...your not my little Rose anymore" I admit, turning to look back at them.

Ebony was quiet, staring at me with regret and sadness, Ciel bowed his head as Sebastian frowned slightly "and with that being said, my dear...I'm so, so sorry" I whisper. Ciel straightens once again "I apologize as well. Yes, you are a part of my family as well" the earl admits "We may not have known for very long but Sebastian and I also believed keeping it from you would keep you safe. I do not wish for you to end up like your mother, but if you did run into a demon that goal has become complicated" he states, his blue eye glancing from me to Ebony "We still have to deal out justice for Luna's death, but we must focus on the issue at hand. It's getting late, we can discuss this more tomorrow. Until then I suggest you don't go out alone" the blue haired man points out.

They say their goodbyes before leaving me and Ebony alone in the dimly lit shop. We were silent, the emotional tension in the air was so thick I doubt a death scythe could cut through it. We continued to look at each other before my eyes widened, in that moment Ebony had leaped over the counter and hugged me tightly, their arms wrapped around my torso as they began to cry into my robe. A sense of dejavú floods over me, I smile a gentle smile as I wrap an arm around their lower back and place a hand on their head, slowly and gently stroking the back of their head as we hug. They muttered an apology through their sobs, but it wasn't their fault. I know they can take care of themself now, but as their father I will always be there to keep them safe in their time of need. We stay like that for a while, my tears no longer an issue as Ebony relaxes, a few more minutes pass before they pull away. "I'm gonna head to bed...goodnight papa" they said, turning and racing up the stairs, my gaze follows after them as my sadness begins to melt away.