~ Chapter 16 ~

Why are we having this conversation?

I can't protect them forever...

———————————————

"Why exactly are you here? Work? You smell of blood...did something happen?" Darren asks, glancing down at me. I sigh "I guess I can tell you" I mumble. I explain to him the events of the day including conversations about the council and what will happen to me if I'm deemed too great of threat. When I'm finished he pulls me into his lap despite my protests, finally I huff "well, I can't let my meal be killed can I?" He chuckles. I grumble "bloody demon" I mutter, he chuckles in response. "I heard you'll be fighting with a demon soon. Should I be concerned?" He asks, I narrow my eyes slightly "what do you mean concerned? I haven't agreed to be your prey" I huff, he smirks mischievously "you know that won't stop me, dear" he says. I roll my eyes behind my bangs and stare out at the park. The greens, browns, yellows, whites, blues, and pinks clash against my vision as the sun brightens everything. I feel Darren rest his chin on my head, the snake demon sighing in content, my curiosity perks "what was that for?" I ask and he grins "nothing. I'm just quite relaxed. Besides, aren't I supposed to be the one asking questions?" He says in a matter-of-fact tone. I scoff "oh shush" I huff and he chuckles deeply.

We are quiet for a moment, everything was peaceful. Finally his voice broke me from my thoughts "you smell wonderful today, dear. The smell of blood compliments your soul's scent" he mumbles, I blush slightly and glare up at him "seriously!? Way to ruin the mood you imbecile!" I growl, which causes him to laugh. "Ah~ is someone flustered~?" He purrs, I elbow him in the gut and he grunts "shut up" I grumble, he chuckles deeply as he rubs where I elbowed him "still as feisty as always. You know, you frustrate me but your also very captivating" he says. I scoff and stand, staring down at him with a playful smirk "atleast now I know you can't resist me and I can tease you all I want" I taunt mischievously, he smirks "is that a challenge?" He asks, standing. He may be taller than me but that didn't worry me, I pull him down to my height by his tie and grin "dunno...is it?" I ask, I was centimeters away from his lips as he stares at me, his eyes turning that magenta color. I giggle and kiss his cheek, his expression falls as I release him "see you around, idiot" I say in a sing song voice, turning and walking off. I could feel his gaze following me and I could still sense his confusion, frustration, and disappointment before I finally was out of sight.

I make my way through town and upon reentering the shop I stop and my hidden split gaze turns ice cold. My father was leaning his back against the counter and two grim reapers stood in front of him. They all turned to look at me and the two strangers narrowed their eyes slightly "you are Miss Midnight Crevan, correct?" One of them asks, a to-die list in his hand and a death scythe in the form of giant sheers in another. I straighten "Ebony..." I growl "but yes, I am" I huff, my smile becoming dark as I tilt my head slightly. The man adjusts his spectacles, his focus completely on me "well Miss Ebony, we have been instructed by the council to bring you in for assessment and questioning about recent events. We have been ordered to bring you in by any means necessary, we ask that you keep this easy as it will be better on us and yourself" he states, my father is quiet and I was glad for that. He was no longer part of the dispatch, a deserter, so if he were to interfere he would be considered an outside threat and I didn't want that. I giggled darkly "and why would that be? I killed a few people, yes, but I was supposed too. If I didn't do it then I would have later. They were murderers anyways...but that isn't the reason, is it?" I ask, they are quiet which confirms my suspicions "fine, I'll go, but whatever is decided I will not hesitate to defend myself and kill anyone in my way to freedom" I smirk, my tone going dark. The two appear unfazed but I can tell they were a bit afraid, a grim reaper with my power does that. Father sighs and I walk over to him, hugging him "I will return" I mumble, promising him. He chuckles quietly "be safe" he mumbles, kissing the top of my head, we release each other and I stand between the two reapers and we disappear.

I walk in between them, we walk through the library halls silently. We pass by other grim reapers, the moment they see me they either look away or avoid us. I smirk, my hair still covered my eyes, the click of my boots and the other two's shoes echo and bounce off the porcelain walls. Finally we stop at two large doors and I enter, a smile still plastering my face. I walk up to the stand and stare up at the councilman above me, the tension in the room is so thick only a death scythe can cut through it. Finally the man in the middle speaks "Midnight Ebony Crevan, also known as Ebony. Daughter to the deceased Luna Star Crevan and the retired Adrian Crevan. We are aware of today's events but we are not here to discuss that as it is not as important as the other matters" the man states. I listen curiously, wondering what they think I am. Finally he continues. 

"we want to talk about your...soul"