~ Chapter 4 ~

Warning: Ebony views others as mundane and in this chapter it may seem like she doesn't care if someone had committed suicide but that's not true. She doesn't like the idea of suicide, but she doesn't care about anyone but herself and her family (the Phantomhives, Adrian, grell, William, Ronald, etc.) so I'm sorry if you take this offensively, it's just her personality, especially since she grew up without a caring mother, her father was not enough to shape her personality and teach her to be empathetic and sympathetic.

—————————————————————————————————

Yes I do.

Not all promises can be kept...

————————————————————

The next morning I walk into the company building, casually snacking on dog treats as my bangs hang over my eyes, other recruits stare at me weirdly but I just ignore them. I pull out a scrap of paper from my pocket as I enter the administrative department, I walk up to a man with dark brown hair stopping at his neck, he glances up at me as I hand him the paper "this remains between us..." I whisper. He nods, and hands me a scythe, I stare at it. The blue gem shiny as I made it disappear before anyone saw me with it "thank you, Mister Downey. Father sends his greetings" I say, the man nods as I turn and walk out of the department. I made my way to the human world, jumping onto the roof of a chapel building. I thought today would be the perfect day to skip and try out mum's scythe. Father gave me the paper yesterday after he told me about her, he said he wanted me to try it out. I snapped my fingers, catching the scythe in my hands. I traced the jagged blade with my nails, seeing my reflection in the shiny iron.

I swung it, it was lite so it wouldn't reduce my speed but it was also strong. I sigh, staring at the beautiful blue gem. Then I had an idea, though only if father would allow me to have his scythe...which I doubt. Sighing I looked out over London, still casually snacking on those dog biscuits. Then my thoughts wandered again back to what I was thinking the other day. If I was naturally born...and didn't die...did I have a soul? Equations and possibilities ended up floating through my brain as I thought deeply on this subject. If this was true then...was there a way to start giving grim reapers souls? Was it a good thing I had a soul? Sure it could be stolen but...there was only one way to find out. I pointed the scythe blade at my chest but before anything could happen, Ron appeared, kicking the scythe out of my hands. I stared at him behind my bangs "what in the bloody hell was that for!" I yelled at him. He glared at me "Do you have a damn death wish!?" He yells back, I giggle "I was only testing a theory, Ronald" I tell him. He puts his hand on his head and let's out an exasperated sigh "you're just like your bloody father" he says, I laugh but I turn serious "Ronald...if I didn't die, and I was born naturally...do I have a soul?" I asked him, this question puzzled him as he stared at me, the possibility confusing him more than anything else ever had. I rolled my eyes "why are you here anyways?" I ask him, he frowns "William told me to come find you, he's quite angry with you" he says, I smirk and laugh "alright, let's go then" I say. Once we're back in the reaper realm we make it to the assessing room and Grell starts yelling at me about how scared she was, she thought a demon had snatched me but I just laughed, flashing the death scythe I had in my hands.

Grell stopped momentarily "how in the devil did you get your mother's death scythe!" She asks, completely dumbfounded. William adjusts his glasses and sighs "Undertaker must have pulled a few strings" he says, I grin "maybe, maybe not, I admit to nothing...anyways what's my score?" I ask William. He sighs, looking at a paper "you received the highest score and because of your abilities and natural skip you'll be moved to the third year groups, though you'll train privately with a senior reaper, this reaper will not be me since you clearly are above my skill level. You start training tomorrow with Miss Addeline" he explains to me, I sigh, Senior reapers were so boring! I wanted a fun teacher like grell but it seems I'm above their skill level. I roll my eyes from behind my bangs "fine" I mutter. I turn and walk off, more bored than I have ever been. I swing the scythe over my shoulder as I walk down the halls, getting looks from older reapers who knew I wasn't allowed a scythe until I passed my test.

I lean on a nearby wall, holding out the scythe as I examine it's perfect design "hm..." I hum as I pull the silver and dark blue ribbons that were tied to a tuft of my hair and tight them onto the handle. Apparently these ribbons were the ribbons my father used to show my mother the color themes of their wedding. I smile slightly as I tilt my head lightly, I glance around at the other recruits, in groups of three or four, most likely friend groups. I giggle "who needs friends when you have enemies?..." I said, twirling the scythe as a group of boys stare at me "hey! How did you get a scythe already!? Are you the kid who just got magically moved to the third year!?" One of them yells, I recognized them, they were in the assessment with me. I smirked "You can't help what's natural" I say, a teasing and dark smile on my face "and this isn't my scythe...at least not yet" I giggle, one of the boys glares at me "just because you were born a reaper doesn't make you special!" He growls. Soon I burst into laughter "oh my! If that's what you think you're terribly wrong" I say through fits of laughter. "You reapers are mere ants, annoying pests that I'm supposed to step on and take down a peg" I say, my smirk never leaving my face, they all stare at me with anger "how dare you talk to-" I cut him off with a roll of my eyes behind my bangs.

"Honestly..." I mutter in annoyance "look, I really don't care who you are or what you were before coming here. Clearly you were unhappy with your human life if you're here so you're probably no one important, and I'm going to view you and treat you as such. Now I'm in a good carefree mood and I don't feel like getting blood on my clothes so unless you have real business with me I suggest you fly away" I say, the careless and uninterested expression on my face dark. The boys 'tch' me and turn, walking off. I burst into another fit of laughter "how utterly pathetic" I mutter, turning to my right and swinging the scythe over my shoulder once more and walking off.