103

Lu Anran was eating very happily and did not notice at all that someone was watching her from afar observing her every move.

No matter if it was her smiling face or her expression where she was carefully sampling the food, or even when she licked her fingers like a child, all of these still mesmerises him… He was well aware of her obsession towards eating and so Long Yuxing, especially for today’s party, devoted a lot of care towards the food that will be served tonight. The pâtissier and bartender were both invited from Paris just to elicit a smile from her, and it looks like he was very successful today….

“Young Master Long, what are you looking at ah!” Jing Xiangen appeared beside Long Yuxing holding a glass of Bloody Mary.

“Mind your own business.” Long Yuxing glanced briefly at Jing Xiangen before turning to take a macaroon from the table.

“Oh ho ho! Did I distract you from something!” The annoying expression on Jing Xiangen made one has an urge to hit it. Really! Such a waste for him to have such a handsome face. “What are you wearing a mask for ah? Are you afraid that a certain someone will recognise you? You are really…wuu….”

“Hmpf.” Long Yuxing shoved the macaroon he was holding into Jing Xiangen’s mouth to stop him from saying anything more.

After swallowing the macaroon, Jing Xiangen hesitated before taking another piece. ” Young Master Long, you received the bill right? When are you gonna pay up ah?”

“Pay what.” Long Yuxing rolled his eyes at Jing Xiangen.

“I…” Jing Xiangen was speechless for a moment. Indeed, asking Long Yuxing to pay for Lu Anran was very normal, but if it was for another women, it’s a different story of whether Long Yuxing will pay for the gown! Shit! What a waste of opportunity to scam Young Master Long! Who knew that a woman would suddenly pop out and ruin his plans ah! Jing Xiangen’s eyes were full of resentment.

Long Yuxing turned and said, “I’m going back to my room!”

“Go go go! I seriously don’t understand you at all! If you’re so afraid of being recognised then you should have just gotten someone to stand-in for you ah!” Jing Xiangen rolled his eyes at Long Yuxing.

“Hmpf.” Long Yuxing gave a cold snort and walked away. Who said he didn’t find a body double?

Music flowed gently in the air and the young people were dancing and laughing with one another in the centre of the hall. Jing Xiangen walked towards Lu Anran who was still eating, and politely held out his hand, “May I have this dance with you?”

Lu Anran licked her thumb, wiped her hand on her handkerchief and then placed her hand into Jing Xiangen’s extended hand. “As promised, I shall accept your invitation.”

When the next song started, Jing Xiangen placed one hand lightly on Lu Anran’s slim waist while the other held Lu Anran’s hand. He then led Lu Anran to the centre of the hall to dance. As Jing Xiangen started to dance elegantly with Lu Anran, he asked “your original gown was stolen?”

“Stolen sounds so unpleasant!” Lu Anran replied with a smirk.

“Is pilfered a better word?” Jing Xiangen said with a laugh.

“Does Mr. Jing knows of the story ‘Kong Yi Ji’ ?” Lu Anran smiled and asked.
(T/N: ‘Kong Yi Ji’ is a short story written by Lu Xun in 1919 that talks about how the protagonist Kong Yi Ji aspires to be a cultured person but failed the civil exams to get a government status. As a result, he is often scorn to be an illiterate person and badly beaten when he was caught stealing from those he works for. In short, Kong Yi Ji is like a reflection of the author who is both for and against the educated class whom Kong Yi Ji is a representative of : proud to a fault, too conceited to acknowledge his own shortcomings, and too obsessed with learning and traditional values to live in the present. For more information read here and here.)