Is He Okay?

"Good morning Love." Damon greeted me as I entered his office.

"Did you come home at all last night?" I asked. He said he would be back late but it didn't seem he returned at all.

He sighed. "No. I didn't get the chance to. I've been working all night to get the black and white event moved."

I took a seat across from him at his desk. "Why?" I asked.

"Before I get into it there's a few documents for the store that need your signature." He pushed a few papers over to me. "I've highlighted everywhere you need to sign."

I began to study the papers. "What am I signing exactly?"

"Just insurance stuff in case anything happens at the store or the event. It's just standard stuff." he explained while working on his computer.

I nodded and read the papers. I signed my signature where it was needed with the black ink pen. Damon had already signed these papers himself as he was the investor for the store and technically a co-owner for the company. I slid the papers back to him across the desk.

"There, now what's up with the event?" I questioned.

Damon rested his forehead in his hand and let out another sigh. He clearly had been up most of the night dealing with this matter. I could see how tired he was all over his face. "My father has fallen ill so he cannot attend the event." Damon explained.

"Is he okay?" I asked, it couldn't be just something small if Martin had to have the event moved.

"He had a minor heart attack. There was no damage to his heart and he's fine. He just needs to take it easy and avoid as much stress as possible which is why I'm dealing with this myself." Damon answered.

"Okay, so just let him rest and I'm sure we can handle it ourselves if we need to." I offered. Damon was the son of Martin and president of the company, there was no reason he couldn't handle it.

"No, this is an event he and my mother held annually." Damon's voice was tired. "He refuses to not be in attendance for it in her honor. I'm just trying to move things around so we can make it work for him."

"How long do we need to move it out? I can help as much as I can so it's not all on you." I responded.

A faint smile crossed his lips for a moment. "You're amazing Love and I appreciate the offer, but let's get your store opened tonight before I have you take on anything for me."

I nodded, I wanted to help but he also wanted to make sure I didn't take on too much. "What caused his heart attack?"

His face stiffened and I could see my question had caused some irritation. The look he gave told me it was one of two people. "Ava. She decided to pay him a visit and beg for Justin to be promoted, yet again. He yelled at her to get out as he was tired of hearing it and wanted the work to speak for itself. After she left collapsed and Davis, his butler called the ambulance and he was taken to the hospital."

"Is he still there?" I asked.

"No, after seeing no damage was done they allowed him to be monitored at home. He's got an at home nurse and his private doctor has been checking in on him." Damon answered.

"Have you gone to see him?" I know they had their differences but it seemed like their relationship was doing better than when I first met Damon.

"Yes, I went last night. Who do you think made me move the event?" Damon chuckled slightly.

"Do you care if I go pay him a visit?" I wanted to check in on Martin myself.

"No go ahead, I'll call Davis and let him know you're coming." Damon responded.

I watched his tired face as he went to pick up the phone from his desk. "I want you to do something for me." I caught his attention before dialed anyone.

"What?" a puzzled expression was on his face now.

"I want you to go home and get some sleep. You won't be any good at the opening if you're tired. The rest of the work can wait another day." he was overdue from some sleep.

"I will." he hesitantly agreed.

"Good. I will be checking with Stacey and Rose to make sure you do so." I stood up and leaned over the desk giving him a kiss goodbye.

I exited his office and gave Stacey the orders of letting me know when he leaves for a rest. I walked down the hallway and Justin was coming from the elevator to his office. We made eye contact and he looked away immediately. He remained quiet as we walked past each other. Only when he was near his office door did he dare speak.

"Are you really going to marry him?" Justin asked. He wasn't as confident as normal.

I turned around to face him. "Yes. It's none of your business."

He nodded. "You're right. But you have fun marrying that sadistic asshole."

"You can say what you want, but he still treats me better than you ever did." I turned back around and walked into the elevator.

Cody was waiting for me in the car. I got in the back seat and he started to drive in the direction of Martin's home. After the experience with Xavier faking security I was more than welcoming of Cody's silence. At least I knew Cody was serious about his job and he actually protected me.

Martin's butler was waiting for my arrival. I barely made it out of the car and he greeted me. We immediately went inside and he led me up to Martin's room. Martin was laying in his bed hooked up to a machine that kept track of his heart rate and blood pressure. "Kaydence, hello dear." His face beamed with delight.

"How are you?" I asked as I took a seat in a chair next to the bed.

"Oh, I'm alright. Just needing to rest up is all." He responded, trying to keep in high spirits.

We talked back and forth while I sat with him. He was excited for me to open the store and was apologetic that he wouldn't be able to attend the event. I let him know I completely understood and that I wanted him to get better. Talking to Martin was always a pleasure, he was usually nice and caring. I finally could feel the courage within myself to tell him the truth.

"Martin I-" I started but paused at the beeping of the monitor taking his blood pressure.

"You what Kaydence? And please we're family, call me dad." He smiled.

"I-I'm glad you're alright." I answered. I didn't want to cause anymore stress to him right now. And the courage I had for that split second had dissipated.