Is It Over Then?

"Hey honey." my mother smiled as she peeked her head into the hospital room.

"Hey." I gave a smile in return.

I was trying to be optimistic about this whole situation. I was alive and the baby was fine so I was grateful. But boy was I sick of looking at the same hospital walls. I had been awake for a few days and I was waiting to be cleared by Dr. Shaw. I wish the man would hurry up.

"How is everything?" My mother took a seat in the room.

"Everything is good." I responded.

Frankly, I was sick of that question. It was the first question out of everyone's mouths when they stopped by. I enjoyed the visits and that I'm lucky to have such a great support team. I was just tired of repeating myself over and over.

"Any news on your discharge yet?" She asked.

"Not really. Dr. Shaw said he would make a round later and I could maybe be leaving soon." I answered. "Nothing's for sure though unfortunately."

"Well hopefully. I can't tell you're ready to get back to your normal life." She responded. "You have the same look I would get when I was sick of this shit."

I chuckled slightly. "So it's obvious then?"

"Yes." She nodded. "But just a little bit."

"How's everything going with your care?" I hadn't had the chance to get the latest information as there always seemed to be something going on. I figured I might as well use this time to ask.

"Great." She smiled with a brightness in her eyes. "Everything is going fantastic. It's been nice to go to the doctor and get good news for a change."

"Speaking of doctor's. They came to look at the baby again." I handed her the latest pictures of an ultrasound I had been given. I was measuring about twelve weeks now.

She looked at them in awe. "I still can't believe my baby's going to be a mom. It's crazy how time flies. How's Damon taking to being a father?" She looked up at me as she asked.

"He seems excited. We've only talked about it a little bit. Then he had to run off to go do some business he said." I answered.

"Well, between the two of you this little one is going to be one gorgeous baby." She smiled as she handed me the print out. "What do you hope for? Boy or girl?"

"Hmmm." I thought for a moment. "I don't know. As long as it's a healthy baby I'm happy."

"Good answer." She responded.

"Mira? Mira is that you?" A voice from a male stranger asked from the open door.

My mom looked up to see who it was that was talking to her. I noticed she seemed to have a slight look of surprise. She quickly turned her head to look at me. "I need to go. I'll call you later okay." She hurried out of the chair.

"Okay?" I looked at her with a puzzled expression.

She scurried out of the room and shut the door behind her. I don't know who the man was but she clearly knew him. I had only caught a glimpse of him before my mother shut the door. He was about my mother's age and dressed nicely. He had light brown hair, but that's all that I noticed before my mother rushed out.

I tried to think if I had seen the man before but my thoughts were interrupted by the door opening again. This time it was Damon who came to visit. He had a bag with him that looked like it was from a local shop. His presence brought a smile to my face.

"I brought you some lunch. I figured you're probably over this hospital food." He spoke as he pulled a chair up beside me. "I also missed you and figured we could eat together."

"I would love that." I sat myself up a little better.

He pulled two containers out of the bag and gave me one. He then set a drink down by my bedside table. Once he had given me my food he sat down with his own. He got us both a good sized chicken quesadilla and some rice from one of the restaurants by the company. It was silent as we began to eat, I was the first to speak.

"So what have you been dealing with at the company lately?" I asked.

He gave a small chuckle and looked up from his meal. "Love, you should focus on your health rather than what I'm doing at work."

"I was just curious. I've been so bored up here and I needed to know something about the outside world." I responded.

He nodded. "Just have been getting everything transferred to me completely. I'm also on the lookout for a new vice president so it's been a lot of reviewing suitable applicants."

"Have you found any you like?" I asked after I had swallowed my bite of food.

"Only a few fit my standards. Very extensive background checks are in the process of being ran." He answered.

"Did you take care of the Justin situation?" I wanted to know what the entire outcome was going to be.

He paused for a moment, my question took him off guard. "Justin and Ava have been dealt with."

I looked at him curiously. I didn't expect such a short response. "What do you mean?"

"Look, I'm going to spare you the gory details. I made them announce to the public they're no longer associated with the family for things they've done. They also flew out of Nashville this morning. They're gone." His eyes looked into mine as he spoke.

"Just that easy? Is it over then?" I asked.

"Yes, it's over. They won't be allowed back unless I allow it. I've got people keeping an eye on them everywhere they go." He answered and the familiar darkness flashed in his eyes. "With how bad I scared them both, I doubt they will come try to piss me off any time soon."

I nodded in response. "Okay."

"Let's talk about something else please. When are you being discharged?" He asked as he went back to his food.

"I don't know, Dr. Shaw hasn't come around yet." I answered as I poked at the rice with my fork.

Damon set his food down and swiftly left the room. I continued to eat my food as I waited for his return. I don't know what he was doing but I'm sure I would be finding out once he returned. About ten minutes later he returned to the hospital room while following Dr. Shaw. I could see Dr. Shaw was slightly irritated but he seemed more fearful of making Damon mad.

"Hello Kaydence, I'm just going to look you over." Dr. Shaw spoke as he came towards me. I set my food down to let him do his job. Once he finished he looked between Damon and I. "You'll be discharged in the morning."