You're Scared Of Being Happy

The work was finally finished and we were able to go home. I had no idea what renovations Damon was having done to the place. He had taken me by surprise and didn't say anything until we were in Vegas. I was about to find out exactly what he had planned though.

The car pulled up outside of Damon's mansion. Sterling's eyes looked over the dark grey exterior of his new home. This was his first time coming here, his first time coming home. I could tell Damon felt nervous but so did I. Bringing Sterling home was life changing for us all, but a change for the better.

We got out of the car and Damon opened the trunk to grab Sterling's things. We all made our way to the door and went inside. The feel of Damon's home was a lot different compared to Martin's. Martin's home was always warm and welcoming with some brighter colors. Damon's was the opposite from that.

"Let me show you to your room." Damon spoke as he took the lead.

Sterling held my hand tightly as we went up the stairs. We passed the bedroom Damon and I shared and the room I had when I first moved in. We passed two more doors before Damon turned the knob on one of them. He stepped inside the room and we followed.

Sterling's eyes grew wide as he looked around. The room was painted lime green on two of the four walls and then dark blue on the other two. There was a massive green race car bed and on one side of the room there were various toys for Sterling to play with. What caught his attention the most was the collections of cars that Damon had taken the time to get for him. They sat in their own display case with a track that Sterling could build however he wanted.

"This is all for me?" Sterling asked as he walked around the room.

"Of course." Damon nodded. "A child of mine should have only the best."

"This is impressive." I spoke. I didn't know what this room had been before. I never really explored the mansion.

"I have a surprise for you now." Damon looked over at me. "Rose!"

Rose hurried into the room quickly. "Yes Mr. Tipton?"

Damon turned to face her. "This is my son Sterling. Sterling this is Rose. Why don't you two get acquainted while I show Kaydence the other room I had done." Damon suggested.

"Of course." Rose smiled as she approached Sterling.

Damon held my hand as we exited Sterling's room and approached the door right across from Sterling's. "Close your eyes." Damon ordered.

"Okay." I responded and did what he requested.

Damon's hand remained on mine as he guided me into the room. I waited patiently for him to allow me to open my eyes. "Open." he finally spoke.

I looked around the room. I was surprised by Sterling's room but I didn't expect to come home to a nursery. The walls were a pastel pink and there was a crib inside. There was also a changing table and an empty closet. I was surprised to see he took the initiative to get this room done.

"We're not even sure if it's a girl." I spoke as I was awestruck by the room.

"I know. I just have a feeling." He slightly smiled. "If it's not I'll have it painted again."

"It's beautiful." I had a smile of my own.

"There's one more thing we need to show Sterling." Damon responded.

"Okay." I nodded and followed him back out of the room.

Damon stood in front of Sterling's door. "Come here." he ordered.

Sterling nodded and hurried in front of Damon like he asked. "Did I do something wrong?" he asked.

"No." Damon responded. With his facial expressions and tone I could see how it may be hard for Sterling to tell what Damon was feeling. "I have another surprise for you."

"Okay." Sterling nodded.

Damon headed back down the hallway to the stairs. Sterling grabbed my hand tightly again as we followed behind. I wasn't sure what else Damon had up his sleeve. If it was anything like the two surprises he just gave then I knew this one would be good.

We went through the dining room which had two double glass doors that led to outside. Damon waited for us to catch up before he opened the doors to walk outside. Once we made it outside a playground came into view. It had a couple slides and swings attached to it. It was dark green and grey with various activities to keep Sterling busy.

"That's so cool!" Sterling's eyes were wide again.

"Why don't you go try it out?" Damon suggested.

Sterling didn't hesitate once he had the permission to go play. He took off running and I watched as he climbed onto the playground. "You're doing a good job with him you know."

"I'm just doing the best that I can to make it up to him." Damon responded.

I looked over the yard to see what other changes he made. I noticed there was now a tall black fence surrounding the pool. "What's that all about?" I asked as I motioned to the fence.

"Children can fall into pools if they're not careful. He's only allowed in the pool with our supervision." He answered. "I refuse to risk losing him again. Or any of our children. I don't think my heart could take it."

I nodded. "That's understandable."

"If I'm being truthful I'm a little scared Love." His words caught me by surprise. Damon Tipton was the one who scared people, hearing him admit he was scared was something else.

"Scared of losing Sterling?" I asked to get more information.

"No. Because I'm genuinely happy for once." He responded as he looked at Sterling play on the playground he gave him.

"Why are you scared of being happy?" I questioned further.

He turned his attention to me. Instead of speaking his response was to kiss me. His lips pressed hard against mine. He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him as our lips moved in sync with each other. He bit my lip lightly and then pulled away.

I could see the desire in his eyes. If we had been on our own things would have gone further quickly. I was glad to see that he was able to restrain himself in front of his son. I knew I would probably be in for it later though. When he looked at me with the desire and hunger he had in his eyes it would be there until he was able to have his way with me.

"You still didn't tell me why you're scared of being happy." I spoke and got his attention to return to our conversation.

He glanced at Sterling and then back to me. "Because anytime I have been remotely close to being happy something seems to ruin it. I feel like I need to watch my back and be on guard for absolutely anything that could ruin this."