Watching Him Sleep Is Boring

I went back to the hospital room when Justin left. My mother was on her way with Sterling, I needed to face him. I had to tell him exactly what was going on. It was a lot easier to get the courage to tell him now that I knew Damon was going to be okay. When we didn't know what the outcome would be it was a struggle for me. I didn't want to have to tell him he could lose his dad just like he had lost his mother.

There was a knock on the ICU door. "Come in." I spoke.

My mother opened the door and Sterling held her hand. "Hey sweetie." She greeted me as she entered the room. Her eyes then fell on Damon who laid in the hospital bed in his deep sleep.

Sterling let go of my mother's hand and approached Damon. "Daddy still won't wake up?" he asked as he glanced at me and then back to Damon.

"Not right now. The doctor says his body is still trying to work through everything." I answered. "He'll wake up soon, I'm sure."

I wasn't sure when though. Damon and his body were the only ones that could determine when he was ready to wake up. I just needed it to be soon. I was tired of trying to remain strong. I needed him to wake up so he could come back to me, to our family.

"I hope so. I want to go home." Sterling spoke as he walked closer to me.

I grabbed his arm and wrapped him into a tight hug. "I know. Me too." I spoke as I still held him tightly. Finally I released him and he walked close to Damon again.

Sterling used his pointer finger to poke Damon on the arm. "Wake up daddy." he waited for a response and then turned to look at me. "Sorry mommy, I tried."

I let a small chuckle escape. "That's okay. Thank you for trying."

Sterling sat on a chair next to me. "So what do you do all day? I know you love daddy but watching him sleep is boring."

"Well, I visit with your grandpa when he's here and I also talk to some of the nurses. But when I'm really bored I draw some clothes so I can work on them later." I answered.

"Grandpa's been here?" Sterling's eyes lit up. "I miss him."

"I know. He should be here soon though and then you can see him." I responded.

A small smile grew on Sterling's face. He hadn't seen Martin in awhile so I wanted to make sure he had the chance. From what I understood Martin and Damon made up anyway. If Damon was still on this kick of not letting them see each other I'm sure I'll hear about it when he wakes up.

"I can't wait!" Sterling spoke.

It seemed Martin must've sensed he was a topic of conversation because he entered the room seconds later. I could tell he had been taken by surprise by Sterling's presence. I didn't get the chance to tell him that Sterling would be coming today. In my defense things had been a little crazy.

"Grandpa!" Sterling almost tackled Martin over in a hug.

"Hey there." Martin smiled as he looked down at the little boy hugging his legs. "How are you?"

"I'm good." Sterling smiled as he backed away.

"Good." Martin gave him a smile back. He then looked at me. "Melissa's parents are down stairs waiting for you. I spoke with them for a moment and they are in no rush."

"Okay, thank you." I nodded.

I had called Trish and Peter to see if they could take Sterling over the next few days. I didn't want my mother to have to be completely responsible for him while I dealt with this matter. It would help keep his mind off of this and the bonding would be good for the three of them. He liked seeing Trish and Peter so I felt that it was a good decision.

"I'm going to be leaving?" Sterling questioned me.

"Just for a day or two honey." I answered.

"But I want to go home. With you and with daddy." Sterling responded.

"I know." I grabbed his hand and held it in mine. "But daddy still needs a few days so I think it's a good idea for you to go have fun while we wait."

He looked like he wanted to protest but decided not to. "Okay." He spoke calmly. "I guess that's okay with me."

"Good." I gave him a small smile as I ruffled his hair. "Do you want to spend more time with daddy or should we go meet your grandma and grandpa?"

Sterling glanced over at Damon and then me. "Let's go meet grandma and grandpa. Daddy needs his rest."

"Okay." I stood up and held his hand as we left the room. My mother and Martin stayed in the room with Damon.

Sterling and I walked together as we went for the elevator. His hand held mine tightly the whole way down. We walked through the lobby of the hospital and Melissa's parents stood up once they noticed us. Sterling's hand left mine as he went to give them a hug. He was such a loving child.

Trish approached me once he had let her go and pulled me into a hug. "I'm so sorry that this has happened to him and your family. I'm sure it can't be easy right now." She then pulled away.

"It's been hard." I sighed. "But I'm sure the pregnancy hormones also don't help."

"They're sure he's going to be okay though right?" I could tell she and Peter were both genuinely concerned.

"Yes." I nodded my head. "It's just a matter of him waking up now. The bright side is his wounds should heal easily."
"Well, that's something then." Peter spoke. "Please let us know if you need anything else please."
"I will." I gave a small smile to help reassure them I was doing alright. "Thank you for taking Sterling."

"Not a problem at all." Trish responded. "Keep us updated about Damon please."
"Of course. I will." I was touched that they were concerned for him. It was nice to be able to have a relationship like this with Melissa's parents.

I gave Sterling a hug goodbye and watched as he left the hospital with his grandparents. I then got back into the elevator by myself to go back to the ICU. I planned to get as much time as I could in with Damon. I wouldn't be staying here at the hospital tonight. My plan was to go home where I could comb through the security footage myself. I wanted to see if maybe I could manage to find something to identify the person who had done this.