I Have To Go Immediately

"Kay!" Julie called out from the front of the store.

I walked out of the storage room to see what she wanted. "What's up?

"Damon had his secretary call, he wants you to go to his office immediately." She informed me.

I nodded. "Well, let's go then."

Julie followed me out of the store and I locked the door. Cody must've already been told to pick me because he was parked out front. Julie and I got into the back seat of the car. Julie had met Cody only a handful of times when he had accompanied me here and there. She knew he didn't talk much but that wasn't going to stop her from trying.

"How are you Cody?" She asked sweetly.

"I'm fine thank you. How are you Ms. Taylor?" He responded.

"I'm really well actually. Cody what do you do when you wait for Kaydence?" Julie asked.

"Well, that's private." His tone was stern.

Julie was persistent and she was a talker. This would be the point where I would just let us be in silence. However she wouldn't have any of it. "Cody, stop being so reserved. Do you talk to no one but Mr. Tipton? That must be boring, always talking about work. I bet you're fun to talk to when you relax."

Cody chuckled in response. He didn't say anything nor did he tell her to leave him be as he was working.

I watched with a smirk as she pressed harder for him to speak. By my surprise he humored here and their conversation continued. I don't know if he was genuinely interested in talking with her or if he was doing it because he had no choice. He could stay silent but she still would've kept going on even if it was a one sided conversation.

Since becoming my assistant I had seen a major change in Julie. She was more carefree now. She didn't seem to watch over her shoulder as much. She was a lot more talkative as well. I could tell she was relieved that her life had taken a different path from our prior work.

Cody parked the car in the parking garage of Tipton Enterprises. Once we got out of the car he led the way and Julie followed beside me. We walked to the elevator and headed to the thirty second floor where Damon's office was. Once upstairs Julie and Cody took a seat outside of the secretary's office.

"Hey Stacey." I greeted Damon's secretary. "Damon wanted to see me?"
"Yes, he's in there waiting." She responded.

I made my way to the office doors and entered the room. He had his hands folded behind his back as he watched out of the windows that stood from the ceiling to the floor. "Hello Love." He spoke in his husky voice as he heard me enter.

"What was so important that I needed to be here?" I asked him as I walked to stand beside him.

He wrapped his arm around my waist as we both looked over the city. "Something has come up with my business in Dallas. I have to go immediately so I won't be back today, I may be gone longer than expected as well."

"Is it anything serious? Did Justin do anything?" I questioned.

"No, nothing like that. The project I'm working on there has fallen behind slightly. I'm going sooner to get things back on track and to evaluate the management positions." He glanced at me and gave me a reassuring smile.

"Is that the only reason you called me here?" I looked at him curiously. If he wanted anything sexual I was not up for it. I still felt sore from last night.

"No." He chuckled. "I wanted to see you before I left. Also I wanted to discuss the plans for the store that I would like you accomplish while I'm away. Your temporary guard will be here to meet you shortly."

He turned and sat down at his desk. I took the seat across from him. "Okay, what do you want me to do?"
"I got word that production has finished the majority of the clothing. The shipment will be coming your way in the next couple days. The employees have been notified that they were selected and will be showing up tomorrow. Get them orientated and get them ready to set up." He explained the start of my tasks.

I nodded. "I can do that."

"The sign will be coming to be placed on the building on Friday. The renovations are being finished up tonight so you won't have to worry about any of the clothes being damaged. When I get back we'll discuss the opening date. I don't see any reason to delay it any further." His words made my heart pound, it was so fast.

"Are you sure I'm ready?" I asked, my nerves were beginning to get to me.

"Yes Love, you can do this." He stood up and walked behind me. His hands went on my shoulders, massaging them to calm me down. "We both know you can and I'll be there for you every step of the way. While I'm gone you can call me at any time and I will answer to help walk you through."

I took a deep breath in and then out. He was right, I can do this. I had spent a good amount of time in my internship. I was pretty much done by the time I came back for my mother. I had the experience I just needed to boost my confidence that I could do this.

Damon kissed my cheek. "You also have the support of Julie. I've given her the list of tasks to help keep you on top of everything."

"Thank you Damon. You've done so much for me. Words cannot describe how grateful I am for you." I wanted to tell him I loved him right there.

Before I could speak further thought there was a knock on the door.

"What is it?" Damon spoke while returning to his desk.

"Mr. Tipton Cody's subordinate has arrived." Stacey spoke from the other side.

"Let them in." Damon spoke.

Cody had entered the room with a muscular man behind him. The man had hazel eyes and shaggy blonde hair but it was cleaned up nicely. Julie quickly followed behind and sat down on the couch that was on the wall that had the door in Damon's office. Cody and the unknown man strode over to Damon.

"This is Nicholas Lang." Cody introduced the stranger.

Nicholas shook Damon's hand. "It's nice to meet you sir."

"This is Kaydence, my fiancé. Your job is to protect her at all costs while I'm away. The last time I was out of town my nephew from down the hall tried to attack her." Damon's tone was stern. "If anything at all happens to her you will answer for it and there will be extreme consequences." Damon's last sentence had a hint of threat in it.