"We aren't leaving until we find you." They call out to us.

A pair of firm hands wrap forcefully around my neck. I can feel the life draining from me. He holds me up and pushes me against the tree. I kick and flail my arms relentlessly but to no avail. I try to scream but nothing comes out, only a raspy cough. In the corner of my eye, I see Brian thrust his hands forward. The man lets go of me and drops to the floor, he screams out in pain. Brian's eyes flicker from green to red. His hands are still outstretched forward pointing at the man who is now on his knees in front of me. I rush over to Brian and tug on his arm as I beg him to stop. "Brian stop, you're going to kill him." I don't know what it is exactly that he is doing but whatever it is he needs to stop. "Brian, stop!" I scream.

"He was going to kill you, why shouldn't I kill him?" His voice is dark and full of hatred.

"Brian, you aren't a murderer. If you kill him you will go to jail!"

"I don't care he deserves what he's getting!" He retorts.

"Brian, we need to run, they are going to find us."

He slowly lowers his hands. "Don't mess with me." He says to the man now sobbing on the chilly ground.

I tug on his arm for a while before he finally gives in and we start to run again. "What was that?" I ask.

"I don't know, I found out I could do it last year. I can freeze people or burn people. I have no idea how I do it, I just can."

"Do you think that's why they want you?"

"Why else would they want me?" He says. "Then if they want me because of what I can do you probably got some kind of ability or whatever too."

"I don't think so." A half laugh escapes my mouth.

A boy with the same red eyes that Brian possessed less then a minute ago jumps in front of us. He holds a finger over his mouth, indicating for us to be quiet. He staggers over to us; he looks almost drunk until you see his leg. "I'm going to help you, but you have to help me." His is voice is full of pain and despair.

"Oh my god what happened to you?" I say and examine his leg.

"The same thing that will happen to you, if you don't get away from them." His eyes gradually turn from red to a calm brown.

"How do we do that?" I ask.

"I don't know, but if they're looking for you as well then you must have some kind of power and maybe that means you can help us all. Mine is practically useless."

"What can you do?"

"Technopathy, computer stuff. I'll tell you more about it later, if there is one."

I bright light hurtles towards us so fast I don't have time to process anything. It hits me and a gruesome shock of pain courses through me. I collapse onto the ground and start to convulse. Brian drops beside me and does the same. I start to see doubles, just before I lose consciousness a dark figure looms over me. Their hands lit up by electricity.

+++

I wake up to Brian looming over me in almost complete darkness. The only thing I can see is the outline of his beat up and bloody face. "You're awake!" He pulls me into a warm and familiar embrace.

"Are you okay?" I ask as I burry my face into his shoulder.

"I'm fine, a little bruised but nothing a little Advil won't fix." I can hear his smile appear and disappear as quickly as it came. "You?"