| 71 |

— A FATHER KNOWS
unedited

"We stand before you today to announce the home-coming of my youngest, Im Rinyoung

"We stand before you today to announce the home-coming of my youngest, Im Rinyoung. I am happy to say that Jaebum and her will become the Co-Executives for Im Group," Jinkyung spoke, an admirable smile on his face as he stood at the podium. "Here to speak her own truth, my lovely daughter," He glanced to the side, spotting the woman— a sullen expression blanketing her features. "Rinyoung,"

The elder stepped down and walked backwards to stand at his son's side. His eyes never left his little girl. They were glued to her hardened expression— as she took her place up front.

Rinyoung stared forward, the same old white flashes dulling her mood yet brightening up her face. Any other person would have flinched from the light or squinted, but like her father and brother, she didn't.

Even though she was able to escape for just a few months into a life she truly wanted, she was still the same heiress she was before she met her lover.

Looking out into the crowds of reporters, she heaved a heavy sigh. Nonetheless, she pulled their corners of her lips upwards— showcasing her public figure grin. As fake as always. Possibly more artificial.

"Hello everyone," She greeted into the mic.

Briefly she glanced up at the digital billboard ahead— finding the entire stage broadcasted.

"I am sorry for delaying my position for a few months. My father and I thought it was best for me to focus on my studies before entering the world of business," She lied— her smile gleaming a lot less than how it used to.

Jinkyung intently stared at her side profile— his heart clenching in his chest.

"Now that I am only a semester away from early graduation, I am happy to finally take on Executive responsibilities with my brother." She continued, scanning the large group of people— all of her silently wishing to see him amongst the many faces.

"Let us live out our wishes of a prosperous year with Im Group. Thank you," Quickly, she stepped back and left the stage with the others, leaving Jaebum to answer question— as he had previously insisted that he would do.

Trailing down the stage steps, Rinyoung carefully made it to the ground. As she began to walk in the direction of her driver, a hand latched to her wrist, pulling her to another vehicle.

Her heart sped up— the familiarity and ominous feel of this situation tearing at her heart. Despite her hopes of seeing him as she turned to see the culprit, they unfortunately weren't met.

Jinkyung grabbed his daughter and lead her to his private car, having the female sit in the passenger as he sat in the driver's.

Rinyoung's eyes scanned the familiar white sleek interior— remembering all the times she'd stare at it when going home from the many days she spent with her father.

"Tell me,"

"What?" Rinyoung asked breathily.

"Why all of a sudden you're back and you're partnering with your brother? I know you both aren't the friendliest since high school," He interrogated, eyes piercing her fidgeting fingers.

The raven-haired glanced out of her window, seeing Jaebum stare at her as he exited the stage.

"I thought you wanted me home," She sighed, turning her head— finally meeting her father's concerned eyes.

"I did, and I still do," Jinkyung shook his head— his mind trailing towards the many situations that had caused her sudden appearance at home. "Why are you here and not with—"

"Sometimes you have to do things, even if it means not getting what you want," Her heart swelled. It ached in her chest, but Rinyoung couldn't do anything for it, except let it be. "And no, Hyun woo is not mines. He's my soulmate's,"

"Rinyoung," Jinkyung sighed, "Blood or not. I saw how you looked at him. It's the way I look at you,"

"Yes, but—"

"Does this really make you happy?" Her father asked, nodding his head to her appearance. It was the first time in a while since she's worn make up, put any effort into her appearance besides meeting her in-laws. Rinyoung looked down at her clothes— feeling suffocated and drowned.

The female smiled gently at him.

. . .

"This feels wrong," Donghyuck grumbled. He placed down a box of Hyun woo's toys in the little boy's soon-to-be room before stepping out to the living area, where the rest of his members were. The men were all laid out on the newly arrived couch— sleeves rolled up to their shoulders. "Can't we do something?"

"Oh I wish we could touch the Im's but physically we can't," Johnny muttered— unenthusiastic.

"What about Rin?"

"Rinyoung's smart. She'll come up with something," Jaehyun mumbled, stretching his arms back then tucking it behind his head.

"We can just set up your apartment tonight and tomorrow for when she eventually comes back," Mark grinned awkwardly— trying his best to lighten up the mood.

"If she comes back,"