Chapter 23

When I wake up I'm in my bed, I'm just wearing my bra and my underwear. The last thing that I remember was laying on the sofa.

(How on earth did I get up here? It's very unlikely that I managed to walk up the stairs given the state I was in. Crap, Chris must have carried me up and stripped me down to my underwear. Oh God how embarrassing.)

I jump up with the realization that I never heard my alarm. My head is banging and I feel so queasy. This is exactly why I don't drink alcohol. What was I thinking? I grab my phone and see that it's 10.45am.

(Fuck, I'm so late for work. Did Lily come to collect me and I didn't hear her outside? Oh no I'm in so much trouble.)

I rush to throw some clothes on and brush my hair. I'm going to have to get a taxi to the office.

I get to the kitchen where I see a note from Chris saying "I've arranged for you to have the day off today, I'd say you'll need to rest for the day. See you later. Chris."

(Oh my God, this is not good. So much for being a professional.)

I collapse on the sofa in the living room, where bits of the night start to come back to me.

(Did I confront Chris about Hayley? Oh no, things just got alot worse.)

I spend the day on the sofa nursing my almighty hangover. I swear I'm never drinking again. I feel like I'm dying! At 6.30pm I hear the key turning in the door, Chris is home.

(Great, I'm really not ready to have this conversation.)

"Ellie, how are you feeling?"

"Mortified!"

Chris comes over to sit beside me on the sofa. "Don't be. Do you remember everything from last night?"

"I guess my memory is a little sketchy but I remember most of it I think."

"Okay, well I think we need to clear some things up so. You asked me why I slept with Hayley?"

"Yeah unfortunately I remember that part! Look I'm sorry, I had no right to stick my nose into your private life. You can sleep with whoever you like. I wasn't thinking clearly last night and I promise it will never happen again. In fact I think maybe it's best if I see if I can stay with Lily for the remainder of my time in New York."

"Woah woah, will you slow down a minute. Yes you're right, I can sleep with whoever I like, and yes my private life shouldn't be any of your business."

I feel physically ill right now. I need to get out of here fast.

"Yes, look I'm going to go and pack I clearly can't be here, with you. It's not working."

I go to get up and flee the room when Chris stand ups blocking my way.

"God damn it Ellie! Why do you have to be so stubborn? Will you let me finish what I was saying?!"

I'm surprised by the change in his tone. He's clearly irritated. I don't see what more there is to say to each other.

"I didn't think there was anymore to say."

"Ellie, I don't know why you thought I slept with Hayley, but I certainly did not sleep with her, not the night of the awards, not ever!"

I'm shocked at his confession. Surely he wouldn't lie? Why did I let Hayley manipulate me like that? I should have known better. I feel like such an idiot.

"I..... She made out you two got very close at the awards the other night. I'm sorry, I've made a mess of everything. I need to go before I make matters worse."