Chapter 10

My alarm clock wakes me at 7.00am. I have to have a quick shower and pack the last few bits and pieces before Chris and I make our way to New York. I am so nervous and excited for this. I never thought I would find my dream job this fast....and come on, I couldn't have dreamt of a more ideal man to have as my boss.

After my shower I get dressed and pack the last of my clothes. I make my way downstairs with my bags. Chris and Jake are already in the kitchen by the sounds of it.

"There she is. My little sister.....heading off into the big bad world today." Jake says mockingly.

"Shut up Jake." I snap.

"Now now, that's no way to speak to your brother who just made your favorite pancakes for breakfast." he says with a satisfied grin.

"Okay....I take it back.....now hand over the pancakes!"

"Hmm, i suppose since it's the last time I'll have to make them for you for quite a while!" he says as he hands me a plate stacked high with pancakes covered in maple syrup.

"Thanks Jake....you're the best!"

We eat our breakfast and I help Jake tidy up the dishes while Chris packs all my bags in his car.

"So are you excited?" Jake asks.

"Excited....Nervous....Petrified, take your pick!" I say sarcastically.

"Don't be silly, you have nothing to be worried about. It looks like Chris has everything worked out for you. It's great that you can stay with him."

"Yeah I guess. But do you not think it's a little weird? I mean he is my boss....not my roommate." I say in a serious tone.

"There's no reason for it to be weird. I'm sure you will both be busy doing your own things outside of the office so you will probably hardly ever see each other. It would only be weird if something was to happen between you two.....if you know what I mean?"

I feel my cheeks start to flush at the thought of something happening between Chris and I.

"Why Ellie, are you blushing right now?.....My god, you totally have the hots for Chris, don't you?" Jake says teasingly.

What? No I don't....I don't know what you're talking about Jake.....Shut up!" I say defensively.

Jake starts to burst out laughing, clearly amused at my reaction.

"Oh my god, well that was all the confirmation I needed. Look Ellie, I understand, he's a very attractive man, not to mention the fact that he's actually a really decent one too, not like that poor excuse of a man you were used to."

"Seriously Jake, shut it right there. I'm not talking about this." I say harshly.

"Ahem....Is everything okay?"

(Oh sweet Jesus, please say Chris did not just hear our conversation....It's official, I have never been so embarrassed in all my life!)

"Yeah yeah, all good here. We are just having one of our many little disagreements about stuff. We love each other really." Jake says as he winks at me.

"Well Ellie, if you're ready we should really get on the road."

"Yes sure, I'm ready." I say as I smile back at Chris.

Before I have a chance to leave the kitchen Jake pulls me into a big hug as he squeezes me tightly.

"Take good care of her Chris. I know she annoys me a lot of the time but I love her to bits." Jake says as he looks over his shoulder to Chris.