Chapter 17

Chris is standing at my door.

(Damn, Lily must have left it open when we came in.)

I suddenly feel Chris' eyes travel the length of my body taking in the full view of me in the dress. I feel completely naked under his gaze. Thankfully Lily breaks the silence.

"She sure does, doesn't she bro?!"

My cheeks flush, this must be such a familiar sight to him at this stage.

"Indeed she does.... Is this your dress for friday night?"

"Umm... Yeah I guess it is. Actually about that....."

Lily quickly interrupts me knowing full well what I was about to say. "Yeah about Friday night we really can't wait. I've a feeling that this year is going to be one of the best ones yet. I'm glad Ellie gets to come."

"Yeah it should be quite a successful night. Are you staying a while Lily? There's plenty of food if you'd like, I got take out on the way home."

"Awh look at that, my brother is actually encouraging me to stay instead of me inviting myself to stay."

"Forget I asked so...." Chris says as he rolls his eyes in annoyance.

Lily laughs. "Ah no, really I'd love to but Ryan and I are going to the movies. Which reminds me I better get my skates on or I'll be late. Ellie was just saying she was starving so I'm sure it won't go to waste."

"Very well, I'll see you downstairs so."

I'm staring daggers at Lily as Chris leaves the room.

(What the hell? She's making me have dinner with him when we can barely be in the same room as each other.)

"Lily why did you go and say that? Did you not listen to a word I told you earlier?"

"Please Ellie trust me, go have dinner with him. You cant avoid each other forever. And take that dress off I don't want you getting it covered with food."

I don't have time to scold her as she runs out of my room and disappears out of sight.

(Great well looks like I'm going to have to have dinner with him.)

I change into jeans and a sweater and head down to the kitchen. Chris is already seated and eating. I notice there is a plate of food on my side of the table waiting for me.

We eat in silence, neither of us starting a conversation. I'm just about to clear the table when Chris stops me. "Please.... Leave that, it's fine I'll do it."

"It's no big deal. Let me at least put my plate in the dishwasher."

"I suppose I can do that." He says as he smiles at me. It's a different smile to what I'm used to seeing, it's almost awkward.

"Good night Chris." I say as I close the dishwasher shut.

"Ellie hold on a minute..."

(Damn it. I came so close to escaping to my room and not having an awkward or embarrassing conversation with him.)

"Yes?"

"About today, in the office, was something bothering you?"

"What makes you think that?" I ask, trying to act casual about the whole thing.

"Well, I don't know, you didn't seem quite yourself. We didn't really talk properly after the last night."

"Well Chris, I was under the impression that I wasn't to talk about it as it was a mistake and can never happen again."