Chapter 33

Jonah:

Izzy was silent the whole trip, but made the whole ordeal constantly difficult, with her constant squirming and trying to escape. Victor warned her several times about doing this, to the point where Jonah worried that Izzy would realize Valentine wanted her alive, and would be more reckless. But, they managed to make it to the throne room without any damage done.

"Good work, agents," Valentine said upon their arrival.

"Miss Isabelle Lightwood, a pleasure," the Queen said with a smile. "I'm glad you could join our little party. I'm sure you see some friendly faces." she gestured to Agent Lightwood, who looked furious.

Izzy seemed equally so, and purposely looked away from the two head agents.

"Isabelle. Your dad seems rather surprised to see you here. Anyone else know you've came?"

Izzy again was quiet, but her face gave away the answer. Or, at least, it seemed to.

"Hm. A shame, really, that you couldn't tell anyone where you were going. I guess you have your father to blame for that." Valentine chuckled. "He always was easy to manipulate."

"What are you talking about?" Izzy's first words since her imprisonment were demanding, but curious.

"Oh, your father didn't tell you?" Valentine looked at Robert, whose face filled with guilt.

"Valentine, please..." he said.

"Dad, what's going on?" Izzy asked, becoming more frightened by the situation.

"Isabelle, your father was a member of the Circle."

"What? Dad, is this true?"

"I'm sorry you had to find out like this..."

"Dad! Were you never going to tell me?!"

"I'm sorry, I thought Valentine was dead, we all did-"

"I never did." Agent Fell interrupted.

"While this has been entertaining to watch, I do believe we should get Isabelle more comfortable, yes?" The Queen asked Valentine.

"Of course. Agents, put her beside her father. They have much to catch up on." Valentine smirked.

Victor pushed her foward, where her chains were waiting, right beside her father.

Victor chained her up, and Izzy turned away from her father, refusing to look at him.

"Isabelle..." he said, sounding defeated.

"Save your breath," she said. Then, she remained quiet.

Agent Belcourt watched the whole scene with a small smile on her face. She seemed to enjoy the chaos almost as much as The Seelie Queen and Valentine did. Agent Santiago attempted to look sympathetic, but seemed to have a hard time doing so.

Agent Garroway truly did look to have pity for both Robert and Izzy. His once angry face was now filled with sadness. Jonah had heard whispers about Agent Garroway once being a member of the Circle, and was now wondering if they were true.

"Hey, Jonah," Victor said. "You wanna go ask Valentine if we can patrol the courts?"

"Why?"

"Standing in one place is boring. Besides, the agents of the Downworld and Clave are gonna find out something's up eventually. We should be ready for them."

A plan began to formulate in Jonah's head. "Sure, let's go ask him."

Victor walked up to Valentine. "Agent Morgenstern, Jonah and I were thinking that we should go patrol the Seelie court grounds. After all, It's only a matter of time before the Downworlders and the Clave agents figure out what's going on. I know the Seelie's guards patrol the entrance to the agency, but if we patrol the grounds, we'll know they're coming even before then and can give you a heads up."

"That's a great idea. You and Jonah can go to that right now. Ill get a couple agents to take your place guarding the Vampires."

"Thank you, Agent Morgenstern. You won't regret it."

Victor and Jonah leave the Seelie agency, and begin walking toward the entrance to the courts.

"I was thinking we could start at the entrance and go around, yeah?"

"Makes sense to me." Jonah replied.

The two Circle agents began their patrol and it wasn't long before Victor stopped dead. "Look," he whispered.

Jonah looked, and despite himself, his heart dropped. A group of agents were walking towards them, and Jonah recognized quite a few of them, even from afar. Alec, Clary, Jace, Simon. This was it. This was Jonah's true test of loyalty. Would he stand by the Circle, or would he betray them for the Clave?