Chapter 15: The Reason

Start from the beginning

"Hey," he said, "Look at me."  She took a deep breath, smiled, and looked up. "I'm sorry I've made you wait this long," he said, struggling a little to keep his eyes focused on her.  "Can I ask you to wait just a little bit longer?" He sighed.  "I know that's not very fair of me.  I just..."

"Tsukki, you don't have to ask.  I will wait as long as you need me to."  She fixed him with a sassy smile.  "Hold on a second...did you just apologize to me?"

He downed the rest of his soda and smirked back at her.  "Couldn't be.  You must be hearing things.  Better get your ears checked."  

She shoulder-checked him.  "Salty jackass,"  she chuckled.

"Yep," he replied, standing up, "Guess I'd better get home...you need some rest too."

She gathered up the leavings from their evening snack.  "See you tomorrow, Tsukki.  Thanks for these evenings - I've really enjoyed them."

"Me too.  Goodnight, Nakano."  He headed off home.  As he did, he thought, one more thing.  I need to ask the King one more question.  Once I hear his answer, I'm going to tell her, one way or the other.

🏐🏐🏐

Afternoon practice was in full swing.  Individual practice time was underway, and Daichi observed his team with a critical eye.  Well, he was observing one member of the team more often than the others, and not because of volleyball.

Today, Sugawara was in a quiet conversation with Nishinoya.  Yesterday, it had been Hinata, and right afterward Hinata had thrown himself all over Nakano and demanded that she toss to him for the better part of the next hour.  The day before, Suga had spent an inordinate amount of time talking to Kinoshita, who then turned around and engaged Tsukishima in conversation as much as he could for the latter half of practice.  And of course, Asahi had been Suga's first victim.  Daichi watched in irritation as Nishinoya ran over to Nakano and practically pounced on the girl, begging her to set for Asahi, Tanaka, and Hinata who agreed to spike for him so he could do some receives.  Daichi glanced at Tsukishima, whose hands were now clenched into fists.  He looked back over to Nakano and saw that Noya had his arm around the girl's waist.

"I'm gonna buy you some ice cream after today's practice - because I'm an awesome senpai!"  Noya beamed at her.

She chuckled.  "Thanks, Noya-senpai," she said, "but you don't have to do that."  She disengaged herself from his arm and headed over to grab a volleyball.  He chased after her, declaring that buying ice cream was a good senpai's job.  Daichi turned again and watched Tsukishima shake his head and forcibly relax his hands.

Daichi walked over to Sugawara, who turned a brilliant smile on him.

"Hey Daichi!  What's up?"

He put an arm around Suga's shoulders.  "Suga, let's have a little chat, shall we?"

"Is there a problem, Captain?"

"I'd really like you to stop messing with our first years, okay?"

"Messing with them?" Suga gave Daichi his best innocent look, "I'm not messing with anyone at all!  Why on Earth would you think that of me?"

Daichi lowered his voice and fixed Suga with a stern stare.  "Because I know you all too well, Sugawara Koshi.  You're doing your best to try to get Tsukishima and Nakano together, aren't you?"

"Not at all.  I'm just trying to help Tsukishima make a decision.  Nakano has already made her feelings known.  I'm not trying to force them together in any way."

"Suga, can't you just let them work this out on their own?  Do you have to make trouble in the team...and drag half of the rest of them into it to boot?"