ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ɴɪɴᴇ

𒊹︎︎︎ Bonfire & Cranberries

"Dad what are you doing?"

A 6-year-old Inez asked as she saw her dad assembling woods in the middle of their backyard. Her father looked back at her with a small smile as he lined up rocks around it.

"It's called a bonfire" her dad replied as he stood up, finally done with the preparations and walked up to her. He picked her up and kissed her chubby cheeks.

Timothee noticed as Diana entered the backyard with a plate full of snacks in her hand and a huge smile on her face.

"But why a bonfire? Don't you and mommy have work today?"

Their hearts clenched in sorrow as they heard their innocent child say this. A kid who shouldn't worry about these matters but Inez was quite mature for her age. Never getting parents affection or time, deeply changed her.

Timothee and Diana exchanged a look of worry. This whole thing was Diana's idea to begin with because she was worried about her daughter. Only seeing her in the morning when she was sleeping and then coming back home late to see her sleeping again was nowhere near enough.

Especially when Inez just lost both her grandparents recently. Her grandfather died a few months ago followed by her grandmother shortly after.

Both Timothee and Diana were deeply wounded by the loss but they were more worried about Inez. She only ever got her grandparents time and unconditional affection, but now that she lost both of them she had gone quite. She wouldn't show it but she felt alone and lost.

"We will always have time for you" Diana said as Inez smiled at her and wrapped her arms around her father's neck.

"Now let's go light that bonfire ok?" her dad said as Inez nodded happily. Timothee walked towards the assembled woods as he slowly placed Inez at a distance and took out a matchbox from his pocket.

Before he could light up, Inez went near him as she touched his knuckles which had small but prominent scratches on them.

"Dad what's that?" she asked innocently as Timothee's gaze fell on his knuckles and the flashback of his father's funeral came crashing back.

He sighed heavily at the unpleasant memories before shrugging them off and forcing a smile on his face.

"Nothing Inez, Dad fought a bad guy who tried to break up our family" he said animatedly while punching in the air. Inez grinned widely.

"Daddy is a hero!" she cheered excitedly as Tim chuckled at her and ruffled her hair.

"No he's not" he muttered under his breath as he looked down. Diana's heart pained at the situation, she knew her husband was blaming himself for the estranged relationship with his brother.