You, Me & 'Charlie'

This is my first EVER upload, so I hope you enjoy! :) I am currently working on this story, so sit tight for other chapters. :D

You, Me & ‘Charlie’.

 The title of ‘Charlie’ refers to the drug, cocaine, though this story also contains heroin use for one of the characters too.

I sat down in the chair and sighed, sighed because I didn’t feel right, sighed because I needed to breathe.

I looked down at my Converse and let out a sigh yet again, these had only been new a few weeks ago and already the soles were coming away from the shoe. I remembered all the running I’d done in these, I wasn’t surprised really, considering the last few weeks I’d just had to experience.

I looked out the window; the snow was falling thick and fast, though not quite settling properly on the manicured lawn out front.

I sighed again, I knew I should have been happy, three weeks until Christmas and all of those weeks I would be at home, waiting until I could finally open my presents on Christmas day. But that last sigh was because of another thing troubling me, something I’m surprised my sixteen year old brain had actually marginally coped with.

My best friend, Bree, was lying in the hospital bed next to me; her body full of translucent and alien wires, wires that wouldn’t have been there in the first place if she hadn’t have got caught up in that crowd.

She’d overdosed, on heroin, though she didn’t start taking that in the first place, this stems right back, four months to be precise.

That’s how long it takes, only a small amount of time to send you spiralling out of control.

I guess I should start from the place where it’s best to, the beginning.

Chapter 1

“Bree, I don’t think you should be doing that.” Mrs Turner looked sternly at my friend over her trendy designer spectacles.

Bree was currently trying to unblock a can of whipped cream, by walloping it against the fridge with a great force

“Relax mum, it’s blocked up good and proper right? There’s no need to worry, just one more hit ok?”

As she said this, she gave the can one last thwack against the fridge door. As if a bomb had been let off inside, the can exploded everywhere, white stuff spraying all over Bree.

“Brianne Turner! I told you to stop at once, now look what’s happened!” bellowed Mrs Turner, her glasses edging down her nose ever so slightly.

“Look mum, no sweat ok? I’ll, like clean it up.” replied Bree, licking her nose.

I giggled a little; Bree shook her mum off like an old sweater every time she scorned her. Bree winked at me, her eyes glinting like they did after she’d done something she thought was super awesome.

“Look, I better go then...” I started to edge off the bar stool I was sitting on.

“Wait, Tabby please don’t leave yet, if you help me, It’ll be done quicker, right Mum?”

Mrs Turner just tutted and walked off to the hall, her lunch break was over. “I’m going Bree, I’ll be back at around 4, let your brother and sister in yes?” called Mrs Turner, grabbing her coat from the hook.

“Sure, sure, yep.” mumbled Bree, concentrating on mopping up rather than listening to her mother.

“Bye honey.” called her mum, and I heard the front door slam and the car’s engine lightly droning. The gravel crackled, and Mrs Turner was off back to work. I felt sorry for her, working on a Saturday, but being a solicitor was tough I guessed.

“So, what do you want to do now my mum’s gone?” asked Bree, wiping her face down with the tea towel.

I shrugged, “Whatever you want, as long as it doesn’t involve whipped cream.” I added, giggling again.

“We could go see Jake…”

I frowned “No way, he’s a loser.”

Jake was a bad boy, the biggest idiot I’d ever met, somehow Bree and I had been friends with him long ago, but he got in with the local gang, and kind of left us for them.

“Aha, joking.” said Bree, winking at me again, but I could see the sadness behind her brown eyes.

She and Jake had been friends forever, they were said to be dating, but we knew that wasn’t true. When he left us, she was really cut up about it, you could say, she was depressed.

“How about the cinema?” I suggested, trying to steer clear of the subject of Jake.

“Hmmmm…” Bree mumbled idly, obviously not listening to a word I was uttering.

I hated this, her just dwelling on the past, it was really irritating me, she did it nearly all the time. Thankfully, a text had just come through, my mum, saying we had to go and collect my brothers from the pool.

“Look Bree, I gotta go now, seriously, my mum needs help with the brothers.” I said, jumping down from the bar stool.

“Yeah, actually, I need to get somewhere too.” I followed her out into the hall where she grabbed her coat.

She was lying through her braces, I could tell. Obviously she was sneaking out to see Jake, like she did every Saturday. I frowned as this thought crept into my mind.

“Well I’ll leave you to have fun with your beloved Jakey then.” I muttered sarcastically, shrugging on my jacket.

I walked out the door without a backward glance.

 I wasn’t going to wait for her reply, especially if she was going to hang around with a loser like Jake.