chapter nineteen.

I sat squatting behind a rock, next to Madi as we waited for her command to attack

"We charge on my command," she said, looking at me. 

"Got it, Mads." I nodded.

"So I was thinking after we win this maybe we can hang out?" She asked with a faint smile. I shook my head looking at her with my eyebrows furrowed, "Wrong timing don't you think? We don't even know if we are going to win, I'm probably not going to make it out alive," I doubted, I don't know why but I always found myself doing that.

She sighed shaking her head, "Why do you always do that? Why do you suddenly always think about death?" I pressed my lips together, looking down then back up. "I don't know, I can't control what I think most of the time. Sounds crazy but I have a bad feeling about all this," I waved my hand around gesturing around me.

"Feels like the end of the world all over again,"

She grabbed my hand and squeezed it, "It's not, you have me, and if anything happens to you, I'll be there to light the person who hurt you on fire," Madi said protectively. I blushed and squeezed her hand feeling better. She began to make me believe we were gonna win this. "But for real, I need to tell you something, like really important," She got more serious. I nodded pressing my lips together, admiring her before turning back to the battlefield.

She let go of my hand, allowing her eyes to fall back into the battlefield. 

I watched as the car rolled by, and I held my breath, getting ready to charge. We watched as the cannon exploded, my eyes growing wide as I watched the flames.  

"It worked," Madi said, astonished.  

"Of course it did," I said, ecstatic. Madi smirked at me and winked. I put my hand on her shoulder and blushed, "Let's go home, and beat some ass." I told her, reminding her to send out the command. She nodded, turning back to the army before yelling out "charge!"  In Trigedasleng. We all repeated, running through the field.   

I took out a sword, slashing open the guts of one man. He fell, two others came at me and I threw my sword at one's chest and slid down to the ground grabbing the sword out and slashing the other dude's throat with it.

My smirk dropped as soon as I saw Madi, who had dropped her sword.  

"Madi! Don't lose it," I yelled. As she turned, I tossed her my knife, she caught it and slashed open another man's throat.

~~~

We managed to take down the army in the gorge, and now we were moving in on the village.