Chapter 2

The two teenagers had now reached the end of their neighborhood and were walking towards the town.

"So where are you from?" Hawk asked her after a few minutes in silence.

"Colorado," AJ answered "and we moved here because my dad got a new vice principal job over at West Valley High." She added answering his follow up question.

Hawk nodded ,"How long have you been doing karate?"

"Eight years now. I started in third grade ," AJ replied with a small smile even though her start was nothing to smile about. "You?"

"Around a year." He told her.

"Are you any good?" She raised an eyebrow at him.

Hawk smirked at her, "I'm one of the best at Cobra Kai."

"Okay Mohawk," AJ teased him as she looked around at everything.

"Well what about you? Are you any good?" Hawk asked her.

AJ turned back to him stopping as she crossed her arms "I won the Colorado state championship three times what do you think?"

"Think you could beat me?" Hawk took a step towards her.

AJ stared up at him, hating how tall he was compared to her "Oh I know I could beat you," she paused ,"Eli."

Hawk averted his eyes from her self consciously after he heard his actual name. He stepped away from her and began walking again.

AJ watched his reaction carefully biting her lip gently. She had a feeling that he wasn't always 'Hawk' just like she wasn't always AJ.

"So why don't you like your name?" She asked him as she also started to walk.

Of course AJ knew he wasn't going to tell her but she didn't care. Be bold or don't bother doing anything at all. She also wondered if it had anything to do with the scar on his lip.

"Why don't you like yours?" Hawk shot back as she caught up to him.

"To fancy for me." AJ shrugged, this was a half lie.

The real reason she didn't go by Aubrey anymore was because Aubrey was weak while AJ wasn't. Her new name gave her more confidence than she expected and she liked it. The name helped her stop being timid and start helping her stand up to the people at her old school. It also gave her a fresh start here in the Valley where no one knew her. It was almost like a reset button where she will get the chance to start all over again and be someone new.

"I just didn't like my name either," Hawk replied in a softer voice.

That was also a half lie. The real reason he changed his name was because like her he was tired of being bullied for his lip. Having a new name and a new look helped bring out his confidence and give him his own reset button.

AJ noticed the shift in his voice but decided against pushing it, knowing if she did it could result in her losing a potential friend.

"So back to karate," AJ said. "That karate fight back at the school were you apart of that?"

Hawk nodded his gaze hardening as he thought about the after math of what happened to Miguel.

"And I'm just guessing here but you and Miguel are best friends?" AJ bit her lip staring at him gently.

Hawk looked down at her "We are."

"Shit Mohawk, I'm sorry that must suck." AJ made a horrible attempt at trying to comfort him by awkwardly patting his arm.

"It doesn't matter because Miyagi-do is going to pay for what they did," He stated in a low voice.

AJ giggled softly "My aunts guess was right, the rivalry between the two is still going on."