Chapter 52: The Woods

Start from the beginning

"Here sit with me!" offered Sarah, feeling almost like she had to rescue her.

Amber appreciated the gesture, dropped the book, and took a seat. Leon opened the bottle for her with an opener and urged her to drink it.

"Come on! Give it a try! If you don't like that one we have plenty others."

I'm guessing tea isn't an option...

She brought it towards her mouth, but the smell alone made her wanna pass out like some drunk. She winced noticeably at first but then nervously chuckled like she was just kidding when she got the strange looks again. They had clearly all been drinking for a very long time and the only alcohol she'd ever tasted was in mouthwash.

"Drink it! Drink it!" they all began to chant. "Come on it's your birthday!"

She hated being the center of attention.

To them it was just a game, they couldn't sense her reservations about it. She really didn't want to do it, even though her heart was fluttering from the pressure, and she knew drinking some would appease them. It was hard to believe book nerds were such party animals. They sang happy birthday to her, and she finally smiled and shrugged.

Fuck it.

She tentatively put the bottle to her lips and very slowly sipped before taking one big swig.

Aaaand I wanna throw up.

It was probably the worst thing she'd ever tasted in her entire life. It didn't taste like something that was meant to be consumed by humans, there was a certain unnatural... something, that made her wanna throw up. The others cheered, and some moved onto their second and third beers. Some had cans, some had bottles.

Maybe I should try to finish it just to say I did...

She took one more very slow sip, blanching from the overpowering smell she thought might give her a migraine. Something in her mind told her to stop and she did, only getting about halfway through the bottle.

Words like woozy entered her mind to describe how she felt, and she was sure stress was adding to it. She wanted to get the taste out of her mouth but couldn't think of a way. She looked over at Leon who had two empty cans by him and saw he was lighting a cigarette.

"I have an idea," Sarah said with a smile, placing an empty bottle in front of her. "Spin the bottle!"

A few groaned and said it was a dumb kid's game, but most seemed into the idea.

Amber wasn't one of them, she stared at Sarah with widened eyes, like she wanted to try and transmit a secret message telepathically.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck... If I say I can't play they'll wonder why, if I play, I'll...

"I have to pee!" she blurted out a little louder than expected.

Sarah nodded and pointed to the tree line, "there's porta-potties on the other side of the trees. It's not too far."

"Thank you!" Amber rose like a frightened mouse, but composed herself quickly upon standing, not wanting to show fear, not wanting to make it seem like she was running away.

Leon opened another beer and watched her go. Grinning.

__

She emerged on the other side of the path through the trees and saw what Sarah had directed her to and entered but only thought as she stood in the heavily tagged stall. Breathing through her mouth to try and endure the rancid stench.