Side Effects

"Your Xia?" Chris' words cut deep and made her sober up quickly. She's faced with a reality that could make things feel worse. Her eyes trailed off to Minho, and she looked down at the way he grabbed her waist. Where is this energy coming from?

"Chris," she took a deep breath before she said anything else. "He's only my best friend." But, those words weren't going to suffice. Chris' frown depicted a different story. He does not believe her at all, and it shows.

"Best friend?" Chris' eyes trailed down to Minho's arm around her waist. Xia nervously moved away from Minho and wanted nothing more, but to explain herself further to him.

"Yes," Xia replied.

"I am curious. How do you two know each other?" Minho had a giddiness to him that made her feel uncomfortable. Sure, he said very flirtatious things in his many letters from the military, but Xia felt like it comes from a place of loneliness.

"I see why you didn't text me back," Chris coldly spoke to her, completely ignoring Xia. He didn't even answer Minho's question.

"Chris," Xia pulled him to the side away from Minho. She didn't want to make things more complicated. She still had Chemin's comment in her mind, but she would be the judge of his character.

"Relax, Minho just got home from the military. We were going to get barbeque. It isn't like how he's making it seem," Xia wanted to clear it up immediately.

"Xia, I feel you like you have a lot on your plate right now. I am going to give you some space. I told you already I don't have time for games. I am sure you were in the club drinking with your ex. Feel free to book me if you need me, but other than that, let's just keep it professional," Chris said.

That wasn't what she wanted to hear. It's already hard enough that she doesn't have Chemin to run the club, and now Chris wants to keep shit professional.

What could she say to him? If he wants to keep it professional, what choice does she have? She released a sigh of defeat.

"Okay, Chris, I will reach out to you via email for booking inquiries. I completely understand your decision. Thanks for everything. It was nice while it lasted," Xia hugged him for the last time. What would be the point of trying to change his mind? He already decided what he wanted to do.

Chris walked over to Minho. "Hey, since you are in town, hit me up if you want to catch up. I have some new music if you want to check it out," Chris offered him.

"Wait, how do you know Xia?" Minho changed the subject.

"I performed for her. Listen, I have to go. You two the rest of your day," Chris left them standing there, and Xia felt so confused about what just happened.

"You like him, don't you?" Minho turned to ask her.

"I did.. but Minho, I gotta go."

"What? What's wrong?" Minho asked.

"I forgot I need to do something back home. I will text you."

***

Xia opened her eyes and turned on her side. Being in her bed, she felt so alone. Today felt like a rush of emotions, but all she could think about is Chris is the one that could have been. Now, she has to keep things on a business level.

Maybe she shouldn't have tried to rush anything with him, but there's just something about her that instantly drew her in.

She checked her phone and saw she had text messages from Bam Bam, Minho, and her best friend, Keyli. She scrolled through her text message and saw the first message from Bam Bam.

Bam Bam: Xia! I have some tea for you...

Xia needed a good laugh, so she decided to text Bam Bam back.

Xia: What's up?

Bam Bam: Okay, so your little friend that serenaded you came in here. He's been talking and having drinks with Alex Reid.

Xia: Good for him...

Bam Bam: I mean, according to Jaebeom, that's your man. Or y'all aren't together

Xia: Bye, Bam! I thought you had something good to tell me

Bam Bam: I am just trying to look out for you

Xia: I'm good baby but thank you

Bam Bam: Okay, well I will see you tomorrow

That conversation didn't go the way she expected. Maybe she needed a break from the club, and perhaps she should just let Songlee run it. This is the first time she's ever had this many issues before. First, Jaebeom broke up with her, then Chemin got sick, and now Chris wants to keep it professional.

She scrolled on her phone and thought about Jinyoung. Maybe she should let him take her on a date to get her mind off of things. Her mind thought about it for a moment, and she shook her head.

"Nah, I am going to chill right now," Xia told herself.