𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

As the days passed, the house grew quieter and quieter. His sister no longer chasing the chickens with him or kicking the ball back to him and the boys inside their tolou. He knew Mulan still had the urge to play ball or chase the chickens.

He let out a laugh, remembering the time Mulan kicked the ball too hard towards them and knocked the head of the Phoenix statue off, or the time she rode Black Wind through their neighbors laundry.

As the years passed, Mulan seemed to settle down. Sheng missed the wild side of his sister, who would chase the chickens and kick the ball back to them. By the age of 16, Sheng had grown into a young man, gaining muscle and height, looking more like his father every day. Mulan had grown into a tall, lithe and beautiful girl. But every so often, Mulan's wild side would come out and she would join her brother, Sheng, in chasing the chickens.

Sheng's forehead was beaded with sweat as he swung his wooden stick, training his chi. He smiled as he saw Mulan return from riding Black Wind, a smile on her beautiful face. He ran towards the entrance of their tolou, catching up with Black Wind and Mulan. He waited as she dismounted Black Wind.

"You know you're late right?" he said, a smile adorning his pale face.

"Could say the same" she said softly, smiling and running towards their home.

Sheng followed after Mulan, following her into their home and grabbing a plate and sitting besides his father.

"Black Wind and I rode alongside two rabbit running side by side," she said, picking up some rice and placing it in her bowl. "I think one was male and one was female . . ." 

Sheng watched her talk about her ride eagerly, he had always loved listening to what she saw but his smile soon turned into a frown as it was eerily silent. Had Mulan done something? Was something wrong?

They both watched as their mother nervously wrung her hands, their eyes narrowed as they saw she was nervous.

"What is it?" Mulan pressed.

"We have excellent news," Li said, her shaky voice betraying her. "The Matchmaker has found you an auspicious match."

Sheng choked on his food and placed his chopsticks back on his plate, he saw Mulan's face visibly pale. He sucked in a breath and exhaled, he knew that Mulan's worst fear was to be married off. He knew that she was thrilled that the days went by without any news from the Matchmaker but now Mulan's worst fear had come true.

Sheng noticed Mulan looking at her father for help but her father's gaze did not falter. "

"Your father and I have spoken about this."

"But-" Mulan cut in.

Sheng's heart broke for the girl. He sighed and lowered his gaze, playing with his rice.

"It is what's best for our family."

Sheng watched as Mulan slowly walked to the table, seeming to be in some sort of trance. She sat down and took a deep breath, nodding. 

"Yes, it is what's best. I will bring honor to us all."

Sheng's breath caught in his throat, he stared at Mulan, looking at her, his eyes only filled with sympathy.

Sheng did not join the regular family conversations, instead, keeping his gaze fixed on Mulan, watching her as she sat there, lost in her thoughts. 

Sorry, this wasn't a very long chapter, more of a filler chapter.

- Ashton