𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏

𝗦𝗵𝗲𝗻𝗴 laid peacefully on his sleeping platform, staring at the tent's ceiling, his arms tucked behind his head. Mulan sat besides him on her sleeping platform, pulling on her boots. Sheng watched Mulan silently as she laced up her boots, both of them contained in a comfortable silence with another. They soon heard the noise of the tent flap swishing open. Looking up, Sheng and Mulan saw Honghui enter. Spotting them, he smiled broadly, Sheng returning his smile. 

Honghui walked over and threw himself on the sleeping platform besides Mulan, a protective wave washing over Sheng as he watched Mulan smile at Honghui. There was something about him that Mulan seemed drawn too, he had a charming nature. Sheng internally chuckled, his protective older brother side was beginning to make it's first appearance.

"Don't let them bother you," he said, copying Sheng's position. "Especially that donkey Yao." Sheng watched as Mulan smiled, his smile growing in response. Somehow, Sheng, Mulan and Honghui had grown from enemies to being . . . allies. Well, almost. Sheng's thoughts drifted back to the dining hall and Yao's comments on women. He still couldn't grasp the fact that men could only see women as objects, only useful for their physical features and traits. A thought occurred in his head. Honghui had never given his idea about an "ideal" women. Sheng and Mulan had wondered why he had been so quiet. 

"Are you matched?" Honghui asked hesitantly, breaking Sheng and Mulan's out of their thoughts. "Can I ask?"

The question startled Sheng and Mulan. "No," Mulan answered reflexively. She then quickly corrected herself. "I mean, yes. I was. Almost. It didn't work out."

"That's an understatement" Sheng mumbled, sending Mulan a quick smile as he saw her uneasy glance.

"Lucky you," Honghui said, his voice quiet. They sat there for a moment, his answer lingering in the air. Sheng and Mulan weren't sure what to say. What did Honghui mean?

"I'm matched," Honghui replied, answering their unasked question. "And I'm hoping she's courageous. And funny, and smart." He paused, his eyes growing distant. Sheng wondered what Honghui was picturing in his head as he stared up at the ceiling. Then he added, "Because she looks like a man."

Sheng's eyes widened, a sudden realization washing over him. Honghui liked Mulan, except, as Hua Jun, but, if Mulan was to reveal herself then Honghui and Mulan could possibly have their feelings grow for one another, if Mulan had feelings for Honghui. He looked at Honghui and Mulan, seeing a certain spark between them. He kept silent, not sharing his thoughts.

"I mean," he continued, "how do you even begin to talk to know how to talk to a women, let alone be married to one?"

"Just talk to her like you're talking to me now." Mulan answered hesitantly. Sheng stared solemnly at Mulan, he knew that there was a meaning behind those words, a deeper meaning then Honghui could understand.

"I wish it was that easy," Honghui said, his eyes trained on the tent ceiling. "What . . . what if she doesn't like me?"

"She will," Mulan said, her words softer then she intended them to be. Sheng studied the pair, watching them. He knew that there was something between Honghui and Mulan that he couldn't quite pinpoint.

Slowly, Honghui looked over at Mulan. Their eyes met and for a hushed moment, neither said anything, the air growing heavy with unspoken emotion. Shaking it off, Mulan cleared her throat. 

"I mean, I think she will," she said, keeping emotion out of her voice. "You never know with women . . ." she added with a shrug and a conspiratorial look.

Honghui didn't say anything, though he did sit up. Swinging his legs over the side of the sleeping platform, he inched closer. Mulan instinctively backed up. What was he doing? Sheng wondered. Why was he getting closer? He came closer still. He breathed in, and for a moment, Sheng was convinced that he was going to kiss Mulan. 

And then he recoiled, Sheng letting out a sigh of relief and silently thanking whatever being was out there. 

"You should really consider skipping and take a shower," he said. "You stink, man." Then standing up, he patted her shoulder and left. Sheng snickered, getting up from his sleeping platform and leaning closer to Mulan, he breathed in and then moved away from Mulan, his nose scrunching in disgust and his eyes crinkling.

Mulan groaned. Lifting her arm, she took a quick whiff. Then she let out a louder groan.

"Honghui was right. You do smell. You smell exactly like a man" Sheng said, voicing her thoughts. His expression went from disgusted to puzzled, placing a hand beneath his chin, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

He turned his gaze to hers. "How could you shower? Where would you shower?" Sheng said, throwing his hands up in frustration. Mulan shrugged, sending him a look of confusion.

Sheng looked at her before getting up and placing a chaste kiss on her forehead. "See you soon, little sister." Sheng whispered before walking off.