𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟕

Sheng felt hollow. He moved, but without direction or purpose. Over and over he heard the word expulsion and saw the look of dissappoitment and disgust on Commander Tung's face, the look of betrayals on Honghui's.

Sheng had never meant to hurt them. He was only doing what he had to do. Keeping Mulan's secret safe. Yet somehow all along, he knew this day would come. One way or another. But for one brief, happy moment, as Sheng and Mulan had caused that avalanche to wipe out the enemy, they had felt strong, proud. They had felt like they could do anything.

But for what? Now they were expelled. They couldn't retreat home. They couldn't retreat to the army. They had nowhere to go. So they just walked. They left the valley behind, heading up into the mountains with Black Wind by their sides. He would always remain their faithful companion. With each step, the air grew colder and colder, but they didn't notice.

Reaching the edge of the cliff, Sheng and Mulan stopped. The whole of the world seemed to stretch out in front of them, the sinking sun setting the snow-covered ground aflame with reds and pinks. Sheng and Mulan stared at the beautiful sight, and their hearts broke further.

Sinking to the ground, Mulan allowed herself to cry. The sobs wracked her body as she wrapped her arms around herself, seeking comfort she could not find. As her crying intensified, she struggled to catch her breath, her chest heaving and tight. She felt broken inside, like a part of her had been shattered and would never be made again.

"What have I done?" she said, looking over at Sheng. Sheng sniffled, his face covered with his own tears streaming down his face. "We can never face our family . . . We can never go home . . ." As she said those words out loud, a fresh wave of grief hit Mulan. She lowered her head. She was no longer the strong warrior she had become; she was a fragile, frightened girl.

As she sat there, she heard Sheng come closer. Sheng pulled Mulan into a tight embrace, swallowing the lump in his throat. They needed each other right now. Mulan tensed in his embrace; Sheng's embrace feeling underserved. She sighed softly, her chest heaving and falling, before accepting his embrace. Sheng would always love Mulan, no matter the path she took. She would always be his little sister.

For a long moment, Sheng and Mulan were still as their cries softened. As they managed to get their breathing back under control, a shadow fell over them. Sheng looked up, hiding Mulan's face in his chest. His eyes narrowed as he saw a group of black birds flying in formation. They swooped and lifted on the air currents in a beautiful--but sinister--dance.

As if on cue, the black birds flew straight down at them, and as they did, they transformed. Now in the place of the flock was the witch standing before them. Sheng and Mulan shared a look. Sheng sent her an encouraging nod. Mulan pushed herself to her feet. Sheng lifted his sword and summoning the little strength he had left, he met the witch's piercing gaze with one of his own.

"If you're here to kill us," Sheng said "I promise that won't be easy."

"Kill you?" Xianniang repeated, her eyebrows raising in surprise. She shook her head. "No. Your disgrace is worse than death."

The words were like a slap to Sheng's face. He tightened his grip on his sword, forcing himself to keep his breathing even and his expression calm. He didn't want to give the witch the satisfaction of seeing his pain, Mulan's pain. But he failed.

As the witch recognized Sheng and Mulan's agony, her expression softened. "I understand," she said. She paused. Her eyes grew thoughtful, as though she was lost in a memory. She directed her gaze towards Mulan. "I was a girl like you when my people turned on me."

In his hand, Sheng's sword trembled. He turned his gaze towards Mulan, seeing her defeated expression, he sent her a ghost of a smile. There was heartbreak in the witch's word. They held only truth. And for the first time since he met Xianniang, Sheng saw her as not a witch, but as a woman. He had been quick to assume Xianniang was a terrible person because she had aligned herself with the Shadow Warriors. But Sheng had not stopped to wonder why. Why would someone with so much power submit to Bori Khan's command? But here it was: Xianniang's own people had shunned her. Looking at the witch, Sheng realized Mulan and Xianniang had much more in common than he had ever known.

As if reading Sheng and Mulan's thoughts, the witch went on. The pain in her voice was mirrored on her face as she spoke. "I've lived a life of exile. No country. No village. No family." Pausing, Xianniang made sure Mulan was looking at her as she added, "We are the same."

"We're not," Mulan replied, even though the exact same thought had crossed her mind. "We can't be."

Xianniang shook her head. "We are. The more power I show, the more I was crushed. Just like you. You both saved them today--and still, they turned on you."

Sheng had felt like the ground beneath his feet had grown unsteady. What Xianniang had said was true. Commander Tung and the others, they had turned on them, despite everything they had done for them.

"Merge your path with mine," the witch said, watching as Mulan wrestled with her thoughts. "We will be stronger together."

Sheng grew hesitant as the seconds passed by. If Mulan accepted, Sheng would follow her. He would follow her anywhere she went. Even if this was the path she chose. A pit grew in his stomach at the thought of accepting the witch's offer. He knew it was Mulan's choice.

"You follow a coward--a leader who runs from battle," she said, breaking the tense silence.

Xianniang laughed. "Bori Khan did not run from battle!" she said. "That coward will take the Imperial City. And your emperor will fall."

The witch's words finally snapped Sheng and Mulan out of their fog. Fall? Sheng thought. What was the witch saying?

"That can't happen!" Mulan cried, strength flooding through her. She took a step forward.

"But it happens now," Xianniang said. Though she was using the words to gload Sheng and Mulan, there was a pain in her voice as she spoke, as if she didn't want them to be true. She took a step forward. "Join me. We will take our place together."

Sheng stared at the witch, his mind racing as Mulan hesitated. Bori Khan had disappeared. He had raced away, and his army had been defeated . . . hadn't it?

Suddenly, Sheng understood what the witch was saying. Bori Khan wasn't defeated. Leaving the others to fall had been the greater part of his plan. His disappearance was not a retreat. He was going after the Emperor himself!

Relief flooded through Sheng as Mulan shook her head. Mulan lifted her chin, transforming back into the same confident warrior who had defeated the Rourans on the battlefield only hours before. "I know my place!" she said. "It is my duty to fight for the kingdom and protect the Emperor!" Then she turned and let out a piercing whistle. As Black Wind raced over, Sheng leapt on his back, along with Mulan who was holding the reins. The sadness and despair Sheng had been feeling only a short time before was replaced with a wave of determination and anger. Anger at the thought that Bori Khan might succeed. Anger that the witch's words had, for the smallest of moments, intrigued him.

Mulan yanked on Black Wind's reins, looking back at Xianniang. Xianniang stared back, disappointment in her eyes. But there was something else there, too. Something that almost looked like admiration.

Without another word, Mulan and Sheng began to ride back down the mountain. The Phoenix let out a loud cry and flew into the air, following Sheng and Mulan.

"They will not listen to you!" Sheng heard Xianniang call after them. "It will always be a man's army!"

But Sheng didn't look back. Let Xianniang believe Mulan and Sheng would never find a place in the Imperial Army. Sheng and Mulan didn't care. All that mattered now was saving the Emperor.

And to do that, they needed to warn Commander Tung . . .