𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐

A friendship had finally blossomed between Mulan, Sheng and Honghui. It was easier spending time in the dining area the barracks knowing that they had an ally.

On the training ground, their relationship took a different state. It was now becoming clear to the sergeants and the soldiers, that of all the conscripts, Honghui, Mulan and Sheng showed the most potential. No one was surprised by Honghui. He was built to be a warrior. Strong, intense and with brains to match. But Sheng and Mulan were  a surprise. They were never the first or the fastest out of the group, but they always accomplished their tasks, and they did so with quiet dignity that made others stop in their tracks and take notice. As the days passed, they grew stronger too.

Standing in the middle of the parade grounds one morning, Sheng held a spear out in front of him. The conscripts had graduated from their earlier training, when their weapons had been sticks, and were now being paired up to practice one-on-one combat with the real thing. Sheng turned his gaze towards Mulan, who was gravitating towards Honghui; Honghui doing the same. As Sergeant Qiang nodded, Sheng lifted up his spear, facing his partner. 

And they began to fight.

Block. Attack. Block. Attack. Each move Sheng's partner made, he anticipated, taking a defensive stance and then attacking when an opening was visible, lifting his own spear in a steady smooth rhythm that his partner met. The tempo built as they moved faster and faster. Both of them smiling, joy evident on their faces. Sheng broke up the tempo, knocking his opponent's spear out of his hand and allowing a smile to blossom on his face at his victory. He knelt down to the ground, picking up his opponent's spear and placing it in his hand. His partner's gaze was elsewhere, focused on something behind him. Sheng spun around, seeing Mulan and Honghui fighting each other fiercely, causing the other conscripts to stop what they were doing and just stare.

Mulan and Honghui continued to go at each other. Harder, faster, fiercer, they fought, both determined to make the other one falter. Soldiers cheered on the pair, Sheng joining them. Hearing the commotion, Commander Tung emerged from his tent, Sergeant Qiang following closely behind him. They stopped in their tracks, exchanging looks before focusing on Mulan and Honghui. 

Sweat dripped down Mulan's brow, and Sheng could see her shoulders shaking, but her concentration and determination did not falter. 

Mulan swung, catching Honghui off guard. He stumbled back and for a moment, it seemed as Mulan had the advantage. But in one smooth move, he swung back around and knocked Mulan's spear to the ground.

Mulan charged at him, ducking under his spear. Lifting her arms, she kicked her foot high in the air, causing a conscript's spear to fly out of his hand, staring up at the spear, Mulan jumped up in the air.

For a moment, it seemed, she appeared to be hang in the air as if held aloft by wings. And then, in a move so fast, she spun in the air, her foot coming out and meeting the still flying spear. Whipping her foot fast and furiously, she kicked the blunt end of the spear, sending it hurtling through the air with speed and power, going straight at Honghui. Honghui, thankfully, dodged the spear, his face mirroring Sheng's look of amazement and wonder. The spear lodged itself into the ground, embedded so deep that the spear did not fall to the ground. 

The men's cheers stopped. They stood open-mouthed, including Sheng, as they looked from Mulan to Honghui and back again. 

Sheng watched Mulan with an immense look of pride. His little sister had just beaten Honghui. Honghui! He silently cheered her on, noting to himself that he would congratulate her later, and maybe even have her teach him the move. A seed of worry also had managed to plant itself in his mind, Mulan had brought even more attention to herself and this was attention that she could not slip out of this time. 

Sheng watched as Mulan ducked her head and hurried away, pushing past the crowd of men and making her way towards the barracks, Sheng trailing behind her. 

Behind them, the rest of the men watched, shocked in silence. What, they all wondered, had they just witnessed?