𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟐

Sheng's chest burned as he sank deeper and deeper beneath the Lake's surface. His hand, still clutching his sword, was frozen and he felt powerless. All he could do was sink, weighted down by the armor he wore.

He saw a flash of color, and then something dove into the water above him. At first, Sheng feared it was the witch, coming to finish them off. But as he watched, the shadowy shape took form, revealing itself as the Phoenix. Reaching him, the bird turned and wrapped its long tail feathers around his wrist, pulling him upwards.

A moment later, Sheng burst through the surface, opening his mouth and sucking in air. He lay on the hard ground besides the lake for a long moment, his eyes closed as his heartbeat slowed. He opened his eyes.

Instantly, he wished he hadn't.

There, protruding from Mulan's chest, was the witch's dagger.

It stuck straight out, the tip of the blade disappearing into Mulan's armor. But as he stared at it, expecting any moment for blood to pour from the wound, Sheng's eyes narrowed as Mulan pulled out the dagger.

He rushed to her side, staring in terror as she ripped open her armor, sighing in relief as it had embedded in not her skin, but in the leather binding Mulan had wrapped around her chest. He wrapped his arms around her, laying his head on her shoulder.

"Never do that to me again, little sister."

Mulan stared up at him, her eyes glistening with tears. "I could say the same." Mulan replied, her voice shaking with emotion.

"I guess we're even now." Sheng replied softly, his voice cracking. He shared a watery chuckle with Mulan as they laughed at his expense.

Slowly, Sheng got to his feet. Turning around, he saw the Phoenix sitting a few steps away. The bird's feathers were wet and she looked tired, but happy. Meeting her gaze, Sheng gave the Phoenix a grateful nod. The Phoenix had saved his life.

Mulan lifted her sword as she sat besides Sheng, her eyes lingering on one word. "True . . ."

True. Yes. It was the virtue they had struggled so much with, and yet the one they longed to embrace. And now, Mulan needed to be true to herself. They weren't going to listen to the witch's words or let their doubt creep in. Mulan needed to follow her heart.

Mulan raced over and jumped on Black Wind's black, Sheng following her, smiling as he shared a glance with her as he was perched atop his horse. Together, they raced across the valley in the direction of the battlefield. Mulan's armor, loosened by the fight, fell to the ground piece by piece. The wind whipped her long hair around her face. There was no hiding who she was now. But Sheng didn't care. They were done pretending. The witch had seen them as enough of a threat to try to kill them. They were strong. Mulan was no longer Hua Jun, Sheng's little brother. She was Mulan, Sheng's little sister. She was a woman. Mulan was a warrior.

As they reached the edge of the valley, they could hear the sounds of the battle from below the ridge. Riding over, Sheng pulled up his horse, Mulan doing the same with Black Wind. Below, the Imperial Army was trying, in vain, to keep the Rourans at bay. Soldiers stood back to back, their swords flashing in the sunlight as they struggled to fight the Rouran attackers. Arrows continued to fly through the air but they were being shot without intention as the archers simply tried to survive.

Above it all, Sheng and Mulan saw the witch, once again in her hawk form. She circled above the two armies, letting out menacing shrieks that encouraged the Rourans and made the Imperial soldiers shake in fear.

Sheng and Mulan didn't hesitate. Spurring Black Wind, Mulan raced down the hill, Sheng trailing behind, and right into the fight. As he went, he lifted his sword and swung. On either side of him, enemies fell as metal met skin. They didn't even notice the stunned looks of Commander Tung or Honghui as they caught sight of a powerful female warrior doing what none of them had been able to do--win. Caught in the moment, he appeared like a mirage through the steam that rose from the valley floor. His helmet covered his face slightly and his arms moved so fast they appeared to be a blur.

Reaching the heart of the battle, Sheng gathered his courage and pushed himself to his feet so that he was standing on his horse's back. He leapt off and flew through the air. For a moment, he hung, suspended, before landing on the ground, his sword raised in front of him.

Instantly, the Rourans rushed at him. Channeling his training and focusing on his chi, Sheng lost himself in the rhythmic swing of his sword. Around him, his little sister and the men he had come to know as friends fought valiantly. He watched Mulan in amazement as she cut through the Rouran soldiers, dodging their variety of attacks. It appeared to be something magical. Her arm was a blur as she cut through the Rouran soldiers. Honghui's sword dispatched two Rourans at once while Yao screamed and shouted, swinging his sword widely but effectively.

Inch by Inch, the Imperial seemed to gain a foothold. Whether it was the appearance of Mulan or just luck, it didn't matter. Inches were all they needed. With renewed energy, the soldiers continued to fight. Spotting the last large group of Rouran invaders, their arms heavy with sword and shield, Sheng and Mulan rushed towards them.

In a group, they turned to face both warriors. But Sheng and Mulan didn't slow. They kept running and just as it seemed she was going to collide headfirst with the remaining Rouran soldiers, he once again jumped into the air. His feet light and his mind focused, Sheng and Mulan raced atop the invaders, using their helmets and their raised shields to propel himself forward. In a flash, he had crossed over all of them and leapt to the ground.

Furious, the Rourans turned and started chasing after Sheng and Mulan.

Sheng and Mulan shared a small smile. This was what they had wanted. Sprinting toward the other edge of the valley, they ran onto a large rock formation. On the other side was a wall of steam. A gust of wind blew back the steam for a moment, revealing a large crack in the ground. Sheng and Mulan hesitated for only a brief moment before leaping. Behind them, the steam moved back over the ground, concealing the crack from view.

Behind them, the invaders' angry cries grew louder as they saw their prey disappear. With bloodlust in their eyes, they followed, running up and jumping off the rock. But their cries of anger turned to fear as they fell, one by one, into the deep crack just beyond the rock. The crack formed from the pressure of the lava, billowed steam upward as it pulled the Rourans down. In seconds, the invading warriors had been lost to the earth. 

On the other side, standing with their swords raised, were Mulan and Sheng, ready for the next onslaught. Across the crack, the rest of the Imperial Army arrived, their eyes wide as they had realized what Sheng and Mulan had done. 

Hearing the pounding footsteps of dozens of men, Sheng turned to see another group of invaders rushing at them from  the opposite direction. Sheng and Mulan lifted their swords. But before the Rourans reached them, they came to a skidding halt. 

Dozens of pairs of eyes landed on Mulan and Sheng and then peered into the steamy crag beyond. Sheng saw take in the Imperial Army standing behind him and Mulan, their swords high. 

And then they turned and ran . . . 

AN: Damn! This was a long chapter. About 1400 words. Stay tuned for the next chapter where we continue the battle between the Rourans and the Imperial Army, with Sheng and Mulan fighting alongside them.